QL Help - Loading for Ruger No.1 - 250 Savage

3darcher2

So I managed to track down my holy grail rifle, a Ruger No.1 K1A in 250 Savage. It's a 22" barrel.

I have a Savage 14 Classic in 250 already, so I have loaded some 250, but in starting out here, I want to maybe stretch the 250 some. For sure I will come up with a baseline 100 grain load with my NBTs, which when loaded to the Nosler max of 35 grains of H4895, shot little cloverleafs in the 14 right out of the gate.

That said, the No.1 has a couple of advantages over the 14 in that 1) it's a No.1, and it's super strong, more so than the 14 or the zillion of 99s floating around out there, so I have no problem loading to more like 22-250 pressures than old school 250 pressures and 2), I am not limited by a magazine box, although I don't have the rifle in hand yet, but I am guessing I could stretch out COAL a little and squeeze a little more of the slower burning powders in there.

I'd like to take a look at the 110 NAB and 110 ELDX, especially if I can maybe get a few more grains of powder in due to longer COAL. There was a thread in 2019 that looked at Quickload for 100 and 115 and all powders, but it was set at 2.515" which is SAAMI OAL. Wondering how loading out to say 2.60" or 2.65" would impact pressures and case capacity if it is throated long enough.

I'm historically more of an assembler, putting together loads that tend to mimic factory stuff with premium components and careful weighing, etc. I've never had the stuff to go in depth on load development, but I have gotten a little better positioned in the past few years and have a decent chronograph and plenty of supplies now as I have focused in on quaterbores and 7mms so I have a good selection of components to really dig in if needed. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Recent Posts