QL help with new 280 AI

bomberodevil

Hi, I got myself a Christmas present, a Savage 110, ultralight, chambered in 280 AI. It has a Proof carbon fiber barrel, 22" length. I'm looking to start load development but like most of us, I'm a little skinny in powders. For load development, I purchased two 100 count boxes of Berger Classic Hunter bullets, 150 and 168 grain. I've got Nosler brass coming in, hopefully this week.

My powders that I have, all around 1lb or less, are SuperPerformance, StaBall 6.5, IMR 4064, W760 Ball, IMR 4451, H4350, IMR 4350, H4831sc, R16, and R22. I have Federal 210 large rifle primers, no magnum primers. I don't have a chronograph to use in load development, so I'm plannng on a ladder test at 200 yards to find a velocity node. I'd appreciate any assistance with a QL sheet that includes the above powders, and uses a 22" barrel and bullets of 150 and 168 grains. Also, any pet loads with the powders above would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
4831sc all day long ...followed by Superformance
Have you used the SuperPerformance for the 280 ai? The reason I ask is, the SuperPerformance is listed as just next to the H4831 in the IMR burn chart, but I've also read that the SuperPerformance is very narrow on the cartridges it works for. When it works, it's really good. But there's not many it works for.

Have you used the SuperPerformance for the 280 ai? The reason I ask is, the SuperPerformance is listed as just next to the H4831 in the IMR burn chart, but I've also read that the SuperPerformance is very narrow on the cartridges it works for. When it works, it's really good. But there's not many it works for.
Yes the node is narrow on my 280 AI, but the 150gr shoots great. It also spikes quickly... just watch for pressure

My 280 ai with berger 168 ch 58.4g h4831sc my best load. RL 22 55g. As always I worked up to these loads. I use H 4831sc for temp stability and it's. 25 moa

Thanks, I'll definitely include those two in the ladder test. The problem is, those two are some of the most in-demand powders, and it may be awhile until they are back on the shelves. Thanks for the info though.
Ill go back thru my notes. I tested a number of powders as usual.
Update: Looked thru my notes. I did not test berger bullets. I tested Barnes and N-165 and Reloder 16, H-1000 shot well at .6". With your bullet weight, I'd also try Reloder 17, 19, 22, 26, W-760, and Magpro

Last edited:
A ladder test at 200 won't do anything, need at least 400-500. Without a chrono you are going to have a tough go, and it's pretty useless to run a ladder without one. Better off running up to pressure and backing down a few grains and just doing an OCW for best group size and start to mess with seating.

A ladder test at 200 won't do anything, need at least 400-500. Without a chrono you are going to have a tough go, and it's pretty useless to run a ladder without one. Better off running up to pressure and backing down a few grains and just doing an OCW for best group size and start to mess with seating.
I agree with you that performing the ladder test at further distances would show more separation between charges, but 200 is the farthest distance I have at the only public access range in the Phoenix area. It's a trade off between using a 200-yard range and shooting off a bomb-proof concrete table, or larger distances off a folding table, and getting more variables.

I've done ladder tests for my other rifles at 200, and I can usually identify velocity nodes. I just have to be solid on my form.

I do appreciate your suggestion of going up to pressure and backing off a few tenths for groups. I don't know if I've ever heard that before but it makes sense.

Recent Posts