Ruger M77 MKII 22-250 1-14 twist Help?

WannaBuild

Hello all,

My daughter was drawn for her first Couse whitetail hunt!!! I don't want her to shoot a heavy recoil rifle and teach her bad habits so I'm going to have her shoot my Ruger 22-250. But I want to find a heavier bullet than what you find in the stores? This rifle has a 1-14 twist, does anyone have any advice? I was looking at a 90 gr round. What say you?

Thank you,

Louis

Hello all,

My daughter was drawn for her first Couse whitetail hunt!!! I don't want her to shoot a heavy recoil rifle and teach her bad habits so I'm going to have her shoot my Ruger 22-250. But I want to find a heavier bullet than what you find in the stores? This rifle has a 1-14 twist, does anyone have any advice? I was looking at a 90 gr round. What say you?

Thank you,

Louis
90gr ain't happening with a 14 twist.
You might get a 60 grn to fly...

You might be able to get a 60 grain partition to stabilize in a 14 twist if you can drive them hard enough. Nosler calls for a 12 twist. Why manufacturers still offer 22-250's with a 14 twist is beyond me. A 1-10 or 1-9 twist would be much more suitable.

With a 14 twist I would be looking real hard at the 55gr Sierra Game King. My boss' daughter has been using the same rifle to take Coues and mule deer since she was 14 and is still using that rifle today well into her 20's.

I know this is an old thread but the information may help someone else with the same issue.
The two bullets I have experience with that are recommended for deer by their manufacturer are the Speer 70gn semi pointed and the 60gn Hornady hollow point.
Back in the day Hornady made two 60gn designs a soft point and a hollow point. They recommended the HP for more controlled expansion on deer. My testing also proved that the HP version did indeed expand at a more controlled rate.
The 70gn Speer uses a heavy jacket and at that time was the recommended bullet if you were using a 22 cal for deer. Both are intended for 1/14" twist barrels.
At that time I was hunting with a 224/244 stamped rifle (22/6mm). I was shooting both the Hornady 60gn bullets as they held the same zero with my load. My load was to dip a case full of Hodgdons surplus 4831 and compress the charge seating the bullet. I used the soft point for coyotes and the HP for deer and both did their job well.
That old 224/244 on an O3a3 Springfield was quite a coyote rifle at that time but I have moved on to faster twist barrels and higher BC bullets for harvesting coyotes.

The Winchester 64 grain power point is awesome very accurate and will
Work perfict on deer .Its awesome in my mini 14 223 for hogs .

The Winchester 64 grain power point is awesome very accurate and will
Work perfict on deer .Its awesome in my mini 14 223 for hogs .
But in the OP the author was asking for a bullet that will shoot well from a 1/14" twist.
I have tried the 64gn Winchester bullet from a 1/14" twist and it was not being stabilized. Your mini 14 will have a much faster twist. The older mini 14's had a 1/9" twist but I don't know what the newer ones have but if not the same I would bet faster than 1/9 rather than slower. The 64gn Win bullet will be a poor choice for the OP's 1/14" twist barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.