QL help for 280AI 22” barrel

sobrbiker

I'll be picking up a Savage 110 High Country in 280AI this weekend from my FFL. Of course I decided to get a new caliber in the worst time to do so.
I've been able to get IMR4831, Hornady 162SST's, and Nosler brass-and feel mighty lucky to have found a decent amount of each.

I'm not new to reloading (rifle silhouette/sponsored PRS shooter before financial and other reasons put the kibash on that, so at 50yo I took up hunting a few years ago). 280AI seemed the best fit for my lack of an "anything in the lower 48 I may hunt" niche, and the model I picked at 8.1lb plus scope will make my shoulder surgeon happy. I am looking to save time and materials with what I have using my favorite OCW/OBT practices and have scoured the internet, but there's been no shared QL data for my combo, especially the 22" barrel
If someone could run these numbers I'd be very appreciative.

-280AI, 65k psi max
-22" barrel
-162gr Hornady SST (a run for 162 Eld-X would be awesome in case they ever resurface)
- 3.430 OAL
-IMR 4831
-Nosler factory brass (73.8 H20 capacity)

**a spread of all powders that run 90+% case fill and 95% powder burn for 22" with 162 ELDX at above variables would be extremely helpful for future load development as powders become available also

y'all rock, and I've been lurking off and on for some time, and tossing in any help I can.

Last edited:
Edited: IMR 4831 (sorry I use a bunch of the other so it just rolls out of my brain).

I bit the bullet and soaked a good primer-
H2O capacity is 73.8gr water (w/full meniscus)

thanks!

Effect If you run across some RL23 buy it, its the pixie dust for the 280AI
Thank you sir, and thanks for all the good stuff you've posted on topic here and on other forums.
I know there's other powders that may wring more performance/accuracy but the IMR4831, and that 22" isn't perfect to take full advantage-but those were the best options available over the past couple weeks when I decided to let the sitting administration buy me a setup with the unasked for money they blew across the board on US.😉

Look up the reloading thread on the absolute hammers. There's a spread sheet with good data. I'm running the 154 Absolute deadblow at 3160 FPS out of a 24" IBI with H100V. Building another 280 AI and will try the 140 AH in that one. Going off memory I think guys were getting around 3300 FPS with 280 AI and 22" barrels with the 140 AH. I had a cooper 280 AI years ago I sold. It shot a 168 Berger at 2880 FPS with H4831 SC. Was chambered dumb and I had to seat the ballet to deep.

Look up the reloading thread on the absolute hammers. There's a spread sheet with good data. I'm running the 154 Absolute deadblow at 3160 FPS out of a 24" IBI with H100V. Building another 280 AI and will try the 140 AH in that one. Going off memory I think guys were getting around 3300 FPS with 280 AI and 22" barrels with the 140 AH. I had a cooper 280 AI years ago I sold. It shot a 168 Berger at 2880 FPS with H4831 SC. Was chambered dumb and I had to seat the ballet to deep.
Thanks, but I'm looking for pressure and barrel time with what I posted.
Cooper info doesn't help as Cooper has stated they don't (and won't) be chambering the Nosler/SAAMI chamber.

I've been reading until my eyes bleed for weeks, but the whole reason I chose the rifle setup I did was not to explore 280AI options, it was to get the 162's that I like to an accuracy node above 2850. I've got what I've got powder wise for the time being because it fit the parameters (chose IMR over H4831 because it will potentially have a full burn at the velocity range I seek better in a 22"), and in today's market I'm not paying the overinflated prices to try everything I can't get my hands on.

someday down the line I will try other bullets, powders, etc-but that is months away and I'd just like to be able to ballpark where I want to start with load development (again, I use the "optimal barrel time" method to then start OCW work ups-has worked great in quickly developing precision loads for years.

In today's market, if someone can crunch the numbers from the original post it would be highly appreciated because it will save me time, and more importantly-it will save me hard to come by components.

Hornady has the info in their 11 th edition for the 162 and imr 4831
Thank you. I've peruses theirs, Nosler's, Hodgdon. Nosler (even with using 168gr) seems to be the only of the three that uses the actual 65k pressure.
I'm looking for the specific QL data if I can find it, because once I step away from a 3.330 OAL and load so I've got a caliber+ of bearing surface in neck, and boat tail at neck/shoulder junction it changes the internal ballistics markedly.
Only QL magic considers all that and gives good predictions to work from and find accuracy nodes quickly.

i did use all the "book value" info I could to already load a string of rounds to pressure test, and will do that to set my limit prior to OCW/OBT load development.

QL is not very accurate when it comes to the 280 ai. It said mine should have blown up. Just shoot the gun, QL couldn't explain why and how I run Berger 180s at 3050 with no pressure signs at all. Trust the rifle not some stupid program.

Good point, and I was taught long ago by a really smart guy that runs a training center in Kingsville to always "believe the bullet", but QL's barrel time projections have always allowed me to get into the top couple of accuracy nodes without spending a ton of time, money and component-all of which are in short supply currently.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, a member PM'd me what I needed.
-THIS IS 3.430" COAL, ADJUST ACCORDINGLY IF WORKING WITH MORE STANDARD 3.330" OAL-
5C7E005B-FFCC-4535-858B-D4D360E297BC.jpeg

Last edited:
Good luck with your .280 AI. Love mine. Bullets hard to find. Hammer's may be the ticket. Steve (owner) will help. Great people and support. Go to their blog and you can find load data shared.

Recent Posts