Pulled pork from a wild hog... your experience?

I use the salt ice water for 2 or 3 days on razor backs and the meat is absolutely fabulous
20210828_135430.jpg
20210827_082923.jpg

You're doing it very similar to how I do pulled pork from wild pigs. Only thing that I can't stress enough is when you seal it up in foil, put some for of liquid in the foil with it and you will never dry the mest out. I use bbq sauce mixed with water, beer, marinades, or any combination of all or any ones of those things and it turns out great every time. Your final temp sounds good. Just don't let it get any higher than 200° or the meat will dry out. I generally stop at 190°. I also don't pay any attention to the meat temp when I start it in my smoker. I smoke it for 3-4 hrs until the the chips are all burned up, then I pull it out, wrap in foil with whatever liquid I want to keep it from drying out, and then finish it in the oven at 225° for however long it take to hit 190° internal temp.
You can also use apple juice when wrapped in foil. Yes cook low and slow 200 to 225. Done when internal meat temp is 160.

No experience with wild hog, but I cook a lot of butt on my komodo cooker. Here's what I do-

Dry rub- don't skimp (coat it well, let it sit a few minutes and then repeat) and let it sit covered for an hour on the counter so the temp can come up some.

I start my grill at 250 and place the meat uncovered on it for 30-45 minutes, turning a couple of times so the outside cooks evenly. I'm looking for the outside cook just enough to "seaI" the juices. Then I double wrap it in foil and cook it for another 5-6hrs at 225. It's done when the internal temperature reaches 195- usually about 6hrs total. Any higher internal temp and it gets too dry. Let it sit wrapped in a cooler for a couple of hours.

For wild pork I might be tempted to get some pork fat trimmings and stuff them inside the foil.

I am planning to harvest a 150+lb sow and use the shoulders for some pulled pork. I will apply a good pork rub and smoke/roast it at 325 for several hours on my Weber kettle. I will wrap it in foil once the internal temp reaches around 160 degrees. It will be done when internal temp is 200. The shoulders will be leached on ice for 4 days before the cook. Have you guys had good results when trying this? I expect it to be good.
I would drop the smoker temp down to 225F and use some hickory chunks soaked overnight. Put an aluminum pan filled with apple juice under it, and wrap it in pork fat held by tooth picks. You will not be disappointed!

I've not done a wild pig but low temp and long cook is going to be your friend.

Keep it at 225 until the internal temp stalls, pull place in foil roaster pan, pour 1-1-1/2 cups apple juice, few tablespoons melted butter and cover with brown sugar. Cover tightly and cook until bone slides out with little to no effort. On domestic pork that is usually around 198-203°.

Pull and place in cooler covered with a towel for 2-4 hours.

I promise that will be the easiest to pull pulled pork you ever will try.

I also inject with brine 24 hours prior to cook and then rub with mustard and the rub of your choice.

I am planning to harvest a 150+lb sow and use the shoulders for some pulled pork. I will apply a good pork rub and smoke/roast it at 325 for several hours on my Weber kettle. I will wrap it in foil once the internal temp reaches around 160 degrees. It will be done when internal temp is 200. The shoulders will be leached on ice for 4 days before the cook. Have you guys had good results when trying this? I expect it to be good.
We acquired a couple of ranch properties a few years ago here in the Texas Panhandle that are loaded with feral hogs, at first I had to butcher everyone of them big and small. boar and sows and piglets. We have smoked the smaller hogs (35-50 pounds) whole and this works great- just remember on all hogs remove all scent glands , we have mixed ground feral boar hog 150# with ground antelope ( PORKALOPE) as we call it and made fine German sausage. The main thing with hogs is to get them guteed, skinned and cooled as quickly as possible. With all this being said you will still get a pungent taste occasionally no matter how hard you try to get it correct. Experiment to make it work for your family.

my problem with Texas hogs, not fat, meat gets dry. Personally I would never harvest nything over 100 lbs, if I make sausages I mixe it with pork, otherwise, still need a little pork fat on top when smoking. My experience is limited though.

Recent Posts