Pulled pork from a wild hog... your experience?

Jaustinhogfader

I am planning to harvest a 150+lb sow and use the shoulders for some pulled pork. I will apply a good pork rub and smoke/roast it at 325 for several hours on my Weber kettle. I will wrap it in foil once the internal temp reaches around 160 degrees. It will be done when internal temp is 200. The shoulders will be leached on ice for 4 days before the cook. Have you guys had good results when trying this? I expect it to be good.

The two issues with wild pork are:
1. Low fat content
2. Wild flavor issues.

The methods you described above wouldn't help either of those issues much. Here is my suggestion:
I haven't cooked a wild pig like that, but your temp scares me. I smoke domestic pork at way lower temps. Pork fat becomes soluble at about 130°. In other words, by the time your internals hit 160° when cooking with a temp of 325°, you're going to have drained all of the fat out of the outer layers of the meat. They are already lean anyways. I wouldn't get my cooking temp above about 225°, and I'd be looking at 8-10 hours. In fact, to aid in time and prep, what I would do is vaccum seal them individually with an aggressive brine, then drop them into a big vat and sous vide them for probably 24 hours at 140°. That will get 90% of the cooking done, and the brine would be deep into the meat. Then, I'd pull them out, drain them, wipe them dry, add a coat of mustard and then a dry spice rub. Then I'd smoke them open (not in foil) for 4-6 hours at about 200°, maybe 225°.

Justinhogfader
We have shot many hogs and usually don't keep the big bores. We like the little ones around 100#s. I first start by hanging from out tractor loader with a large tub under the hog. Have a water hose available and a large cooler full of ice/water/salt. The salt make a reaction and makes the ice water colder. Also wear a rain suit to prevent getting any of at least (6) disease from feral hogs. Do a search on the inter for precautions.
After dressing the hog we spray the meat with water and through the quarters, Loins, Back Straps, Ribs into the ice water.
Keep the meat in the ice water for at least two days. Then you can butcher, freeze wrap or cook and smoke.
Everyone has their own way to cook.
I, most of the time take the "Butts" or "Shoulders" put rub on them and smoke for 12-14-20 hours (depends on size) in a Bradly Smoker with Apple, Cheery, Hickory wood.
Meat falls apart almost like EMU Kalua pig from Hawaii.
We have a friend that cooks pork in a grill/smoker similar to a Green Egg and come out great. He uses the big charcoal bricks and Hickory wood chips. He is out of town now, but will get he recipe for cooking in a few days for you.
Good luck and enjoy some good meals!

Thanks
Len & Jill

Hope it comes out great!

May want to check some BBQ forums for tips on wild hog. Someone has likely cooked something similar on the grill/smoker setup someone is using. You can read some good and bad, things they would do differently. Jumping into a new meat takes some experimentation, but someone else has done it.

I suggest a cook temp of 225°-250°. You can wrap at an IT of 145-150 to preserve moisture as it's done taking smoke at that point anyway. Also when wrapping, a decent amount of squirt butter will help things stay good and juicy. You will need rest it for a couple of hours after cooking to let all of the connective tissue completely break down and get tender. I use a small cooler packed full of towels.

I agree, low and slow in the temp. Wild hog will dry out badly if too much heat is used. Young females are best for avoiding rank taste. Mixing in some domestic pork, fatter the better, will help with flavor and moisture.

I am planning to harvest a 150+lb sow and use the shoulders for some pulled pork. I will apply a good pork rub and smoke/roast it at 325 for several hours on my Weber kettle. I will wrap it in foil once the internal temp reaches around 160 degrees. It will be done when internal temp is 200. The shoulders will be leached on ice for 4 days before the cook. Have you guys had good results when trying this? I expect it to be good.
Probably won't turn out well. Wild pig is lean. I keep the loins and the ribs whole get the rest ground up. I buy pork butts at Costco or the store, grind it up and mix it 50-50. When making sausage, I add brisket or other beef trimmings to up the fat content. Great sausage...

We just had some pulled pork from the front shoulder of a wild hog and it was delicious. Shot out of an orange grove in florida so I'm sure that helps.

I cook a lot of wild hog. I suggest brining it. I use the anise brine from The Hog Book by Jesse Griffiths. I usually substitute anise seeds for star of anise because i've never been able to find it in the grocery store.

Attachments

• IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 137
You're doing it very similar to how I do pulled pork from wild pigs. Only thing that I can't stress enough is when you seal it up in foil, put some for of liquid in the foil with it and you will never dry the mest out. I use bbq sauce mixed with water, beer, marinades, or any combination of all or any ones of those things and it turns out great every time. Your final temp sounds good. Just don't let it get any higher than 200° or the meat will dry out. I generally stop at 190°. I also don't pay any attention to the meat temp when I start it in my smoker. I smoke it for 3-4 hrs until the the chips are all burned up, then I pull it out, wrap in foil with whatever liquid I want to keep it from drying out, and then finish it in the oven at 225° for however long it take to hit 190° internal temp.

Don't overcomplicate it. Smoke it uncovered in a pan and cook it with its natural juices to maintain moisture until the desired smokiness, i.e., 325 °F for 2 hours, baste as required, and monitor moisture level. Cover with foil and cook slowly, i.e., 4-6 hours or until fork-tender. Shred meat with its natural juice and enjoy it with your favorite condiments, wine, beer, or spirit pairing. Cheers!

Ed

I cook a lot of wild hog. I suggest brining it. I use the anise brine from The Hog Book by Jesse Griffiths. I usually substitute anise seeds for star of anise because i've never been able to find it in the grocery store.
Ask a pharmacist to order you some, it's not expensive and that's how I got mine.

Recent Posts