Handling wild hog meat

Have shot a few hog here in Canada. Causing some concerns in most provinces now. Take meat after butchered and freeze for thirty days supposedly kill all bacteria and any parasitic creatures.
I've read that freezing dies not kill off harmful bacteria in pig meat. That would be an easy solution since all of my game meat ends up in the freezer for some period of time.

I left the quarters, backstraps and loins in a large cooler covered in 4" of ice. Put the cooler on a steep angle and left the drain plug out to allow for the free flow of water and residual blood. Gave it a few days to ice-age and then decided to take care of it before I got busy with other chores which were backing up.

Didn't make too big of a deal of things but wore rubber gloves and wrapped all the meat carefully before going into the freezer. Cleaned off everything with Clorox wipes and called it a day.

Thanks for all the informative feedback. I've killed boars in several prior years but usually just took the animal to a processor. Reading more and more about potential health issues associated with wild hogs got my attention. Hence, my post.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
I've shot a few hogs here in Calif in 100 degree plus heat. Never had a bacteria problem with any of them, just cook them to 165 degrees. Never used gloves except in the last few years. There is bacteria in all animals mostly from the gut. A lot of guys spray Vinegar in the cavity to stop any contamination. Just remember to skin them fast, quarter or halve, I hang them in (cotton bag)the shade until they are dry to the touch. Put them on ice and head to the butcher.

I've read that freezing dies not kill off harmful bacteria in pig meat. That would be an easy solution since all of my game meat ends up in the freezer for some period of time.

I left the quarters, backstraps and loins in a large cooler covered in 4" of ice. Put the cooler on a steep angle and left the drain plug out to allow for the free flow of water and residual blood. Gave it a few days to ice-age and then decided to take care of it before I got busy with other chores which were backing up.

Didn't make too big of a deal of things but wore rubber gloves and wrapped all the meat carefully before going into the freezer. Cleaned of everything with Clorox wipes and called it a day.

Thanks for all the informative feedback. I've killed boars in several prior years but usually just took the animal to a processor. Reading more and more about potential health issues associated with wild hogs got my attention. Hence, my post.

Thanks again everyone.
Freezing can kill harmful bacteria, there is a schedule somewhere that show how long (month) at specific temperatures. Have seen it but was unable to pull it up.

Freezing can kill harmful bacteria, there is a schedule somewhere that show how long (month) at specific temperatures. Have seen it but was unable to pull it up.
A quick search on the internet of "Does freezing meat kill bacteria" came up with numerous sites that indicate that it does not. Here is a brief clip from the US FDA:
Does freezing food kill bacteria?
Jul 17, 2019
KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
Freezing to 0 °F inactivates any microbes, bacteria, yeasts and molds present in food. Once thawed, however, these microbes can again become active, multiplying under the right conditions to levels that can lead to foodborne illness. Since they will then grow at about the same rate as microorganisms on fresh food, you must handle thawed items as you would any perishable food. For more information, visit: Freezing and Food Safety

There may be conflicting articles out there, but I didn't see them.

The main way from what I understand to contract disease from hogs is when you gut them. Many guys I know do a gutless processing, hams, shoulders and backstrap thus leaving the ribs and inside untouched what a waste but they feel is safer.
I just wear dishwashing gloves and make sure I wash all the blood off and put hog in cooler cover with ice add a little rock salt and drain regularly for 3 days. Then process. May start using vinagar on carcass after I wash it for extra germ killing. I clean all utinsles in diluted Chlorox then dawn.

A quick search on the internet of "Does freezing meat kill bacteria" came up with numerous sites that indicate that it does not. Here is a brief clip from the US FDA:
Does freezing food kill bacteria?
Jul 17, 2019
KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
Freezing to 0 °F inactivates any microbes, bacteria, yeasts and molds present in food. Once thawed, however, these microbes can again become active, multiplying under the right conditions to levels that can lead to foodborne illness. Since they will then grow at about the same rate as microorganisms on fresh food, you must handle thawed items as you would any perishable food. For more information, visit: Freezing and Food Safety

There may be conflicting articles out there, but I didn't see them.
Good to know. Thanks

I just returned from SC with a few hogs that I took. The guide skinned and quartered the hogs and the meat is now in a large cooler covered with ice. There has been some previous discussion regarding the potential health issues regarding fresh hog blood when butchering. Are there any precautions I should take when getting the meat separated, cleaned, wrapped and ready for the freezer?
Be careful of any sharp bones ,brucellosis is the one thing to worry about wear rubber gloves avoid getting cut I've never had any problems and never wore gloves for many years

I have butchered a lot of hogs. I always wear gloves and a rain suit. I have a large cooler right next to where I dress out the hogs. As soon as I cut a quarter or piece of meat I spray it off with water and then throw into the cooler loaded with water/ICE and SALT. The SALT makes a reaction with the ice and it gets a lot colder and FAST cools the meat. Luckily I shoot hogs on my property and a neighbors so fast and easy to clean them. I usually leave the meat in the ice filled cooler until the next day and then finish butchering and freezer wrap/vacuum pack before going into the freezer.
The diseases mention in previous posts will die off (if any) after several hours on clothing (rain suit boots).
Hopefully I will start to feel better with my neck and start hunting those hogs again. Have a few on my neighbors property and saw some signs on our back property the other day. Will need to put some corn out!
EDITE 3/8 11:04PM EST
We do leave the meat in the coolers filled with ice/salt/water for a few days before butchering and then place into vacuum packs.