Handling wild hog meat

Varmint Hunter

I just returned from SC with a few hogs that I took. The guide skinned and quartered the hogs and the meat is now in a large cooler covered with ice. There has been some previous discussion regarding the potential health issues regarding fresh hog blood when butchering. Are there any precautions I should take when getting the meat separated, cleaned, wrapped and ready for the freezer?

None that I have ever worried about or followed.
Ive cut myself so many times while cleaning hogs. Never anything bad. Just gotta make sure you cook it well.
Also a trick I learned a while back. When you put them on ice I pour vinegar and lemon juice on top of the ice. Keep water drained offs by the time I got home after several days it seems to pull the game flavor out of the boars.

Very informative link posted by Zen above. In a snapshot; here is the answer to my question which I clipped from the link.

Wild Hog Meat Processing and Handling

Hunters are also at risk for exposure to swine brucellosis, tularemia and other diseases. They should not process a feral hog that shows any signs of illness. To reduce chances of exposure, a double set of rubber or plastic gloves should be worn while processing and handling meat from feral hogs (Figure 2). Likewise, safety glasses should be worn to shield your eyes. Hands also should be washed often with soap and warm water, and tools and work surfaces cleaned with a dilute bleach solution.

Feral hogs make great table fare. However, always use a meat thermometer to ensure an internal temperature of 160°F has been reached and the meat is thoroughly cooked.

I have butchered a lot of hogs. I always wear gloves and a rain suit. I have a large cooler right next to where I dress out the hogs. As soon as I cut a quarter or piece of meat I spray it off with water and then throw into the cooler loaded with water/ICE and SALT. The SALT makes a reaction with the ice and it gets a lot colder and FAST cools the meat. Luckily I shoot hogs on my property and a neighbors so fast and easy to clean them. I usually leave the meat in the ice filled cooler until the next day and then finish butchering and freezer wrap/vacuum pack before going into the freezer.
The diseases mention in previous posts will die off (if any) after several hours on clothing (rain suit boots).
Hopefully I will start to feel better with my neck and start hunting those hogs again. Have a few on my neighbors property and saw some signs on our back property the other day. Will need to put some corn out!

Have shot a few hog here in Canada. Causing some concerns in most provinces now. Take meat after butchered and freeze for thirty days supposedly kill all bacteria and any parasitic creatures. Never had an issue smaller ones pit barbeque whole to make pulled pork. Larger ones made into hams ribs and pork chops. Haven't had any problems. I skin like I'm skinning a fur bearer start at back end roll hide off away from meat then gut. I have a skinning pole set up. Not done in field. Trichinosis is the bad one I have been told for hogs same as bear meat. Also cook at high temperature as other on thread have stated.

None that I have ever worried about or followed.
Ive cut myself so many times while cleaning hogs. Never anything bad. Just gotta make sure you cook it well.
Also a trick I learned a while back. When you put them on ice I pour vinegar and lemon juice on top of the ice. Keep water drained offs by the time I got home after several days it seems to pull the game flavor out of the boars.
We commonly use chopped up oranges on our Florida hunts. White vinegar is also used by some. I am gong to try apple cider vinegar one of these days when I can by some by the jug. It is the acid (acetic or citric) that cleans up the meat. Remember to drain water off frequently as mentioned above. Add more citrus or vinegar every time you add more ice.

I just returned from SC with a few hogs that I took. The guide skinned and quartered the hogs and the meat is now in a large cooler covered with ice. There has been some previous discussion regarding the potential health issues regarding fresh hog blood when butchering. Are there any precautions I should take when getting the meat separated, cleaned, wrapped and ready for the freezer?
Similar to guy with vinegar and lemon juice, i sprinkle a Generous amount of table salt, instead, over the ice, drain the water daily, add more ice and salt after 5 to 6 days debone. 90% of mine i grind and season, and stuff as jalepon cheese sausage. I Add about a cup and a-half of olive oil / 25 lb of meat, instead of pork fat, a-lot easier to mix, dose not change flavor and healthier.

back strap season roll up thigh in plastic cookie sheet, stick in freezer for about 4-5 hours. Then take it out (not frozen but very stiff) cut steaks out, wrap with bacon and make wild meat filet mignon.

Has worked great for years.

I field dress the hog then hang it over night in a cooler. The next day I take it to a processor I use . I have him keep the loins and ribs whole with the rest into ground pork. I have him pack it into 5 pound packages. I make 10 pound batches of sausage using 5 pounds of wild pork and 5 pounds of pork butt from Costco, Sam's or the market. I will add a pound of tri-tip or brisket trimmings to make sure there is plenty of fat. Delicious!!!

I'm in Texas so, you might have something in South Carolina we don't in Texas but generally, game handling will be the same.

If you are concerned at all, a box of 200 food handling gloves is available at Sam's Club for ~$7, or 'dish' gloves are available at Dollar General for $2 last time I bought some. Personally, I have butchered as many as 17 feral hogs at one time with only the protection God gave me, whether that is the skin on my hands or my immune system. That being said, you should be careful with splatters and cuts/scrapes on your hands and arms and if you have any health concerns additional caution should be exercised.

Definitely keep the meat out of liquids. Whether the liquid is bad or not, cross-contamination isn't the only thing that will ruin the quality of the meat. Make sure any bags or tubs are well-drained.

In terms of cooking, don't turn it into tough shoe leather. Yes, you want ~160F, go low and slow if you are worried. Overcooking won't make it safer and really only destroys the quality of the meat that was harvested and slaved over.

Depending on how much have and what you intend to do with it, a "pick pickin' " might be in order! :)

Slow roasted or smoked hams and butts are pretty darn good too!

Trichinosis is the bad one I have been told for hogs same as bear meat. Also cook at high temperature as other on thread have stated.
Trichinosis is killed off pretty easily when properly cooked and does not need to be overcooked to be safe to eat.

I don't know about Canada but, most Trichinosis issues are related to pig styes around here. Commercial hogs basically have had zero instances of Trichinosis in the food chain for years to the best of my knowledge (researched a while back). With wild hogs it will vary some but, here in Texas where feral hogs live generally doesn't support Trichinosis.

Properly cooked, Trichinosis should not be a concern to anyone eating pork these days assuming you have relatively normal health.