Pulled pork from a wild hog... your experience?

Do wild pulled pork in a crock pot. Saves all the trouble of this trick or that trick. Use two of the big boxes of chicken broth for moisture and spice hell out of it. Wild hog makes good sausage/chorizo and the backstrap cutleylts are useable for Asian dishes. Otherwise I leave them lay mostly.
I have an instant pot that I will do a small 2-3 lb shoulder in. I'll do the 3 day salt/ice water bath first though. Then I will try a slow smoked version on the Weber as many have suggested above. I like your chicken broth suggestion. I'll add some BBQ sauce to the liquid also.
Thx !!

I am planning to harvest a 150+lb sow and use the shoulders for some pulled pork. I will apply a good pork rub and smoke/roast it at 325 for several hours on my Weber kettle. I will wrap it in foil once the internal temp reaches around 160 degrees. It will be done when internal temp is 200. The shoulders will be leached on ice for 4 days before the cook. Have you guys had good results when trying this? I expect it to be good.
225 is a much better temp. I also brine in apple juice 24 hrs.

Heck, just have a pig roast instead.

lechon.jpg

I took a small hog at Wilderness Hunting Lodge and made delicious pulled pork by my standard 3-hours @ 225F and 2-hours tented in an aluminum dish with 1/2 inch of apple juice at 225. Pulled perfectly and mixed with Cattleman's yellow and Jack Daniels' BBQ sauce (light amounts).

My wife does great pulled pork with the insta pot.
I like the flavor better using my Weber Smokefire, but haven't been able to get the wild hog as tender on the pellet grill yet.

In Florida the brine often includes oranges or vinegar, with without bourbon as the cook prefers.
I like to use canned pineapple juice in the brine, with a fresh chopped up pineapple tossed in. I save the bourbon for the sauce.
The Star Anise sounds like a good addition; I look forward to trying it.
You have to work to keep the lean meat from drying out, so have a plan. Injecting can help.

100 degrees here in Texas, so I won't be hunting hogs till maybe December- March. My thoughts to try next, in addition to some of the fine suggestions here, is a piece of pork belly over the hog roast to keep it moist.
Any thoughts?

I am planning to harvest a 150+lb sow and use the shoulders for some pulled pork. I will apply a good pork rub and smoke/roast it at 325 for several hours on my Weber kettle. I will wrap it in foil once the internal temp reaches around 160 degrees. It will be done when internal temp is 200. The shoulders will be leached on ice for 4 days before the cook. Have you guys had good results when trying this? I expect it to be good.
Here is my Rub Recipe, Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• Wilson’s World Famous BBQ Rub - Copy.txt
    296 bytes · Views: 121
I cook a lot of wild hog. I suggest brining it. I use the anise brine from The Hog Book by Jesse Griffiths. I usually substitute anise seeds for star of anise because i've never been able to find it in the grocery store.
You can order the star anise on Amazon…

My wife does great pulled pork with the insta pot.
I like the flavor better using my Weber Smokefire, but haven't been able to get the wild hog as tender on the pellet grill yet.
I'm thinking that low and slow cooking on the Weber kettle and finishing in the instant pot may do the trick. I would incorporate all other tips here also.

Recent Posts