Proof vs Christensen Carbon

You're crapping all over this thread after clearly stating in your first post you didn't want to start anything.

My opinion is just as qualified as anyone you render considering we're both anonymous people on the internet.

Big BS now going to monitor the Thread for crapping? Nice. Technically, I'm only crapping on your posts. That's somewhat less than the Thread, as a whole. Thread would include all the other posts.

True. Your opinion is just as qualified, or unqualified, as any other members. Never said it wasn't. Respected... that's another matter.

I agree that one huge advantage is the stiffness, allowing the CF barrels to be slightly more accurate after several shots, due to the significantly lower harmonic node interference (whip) thanks to the very stiff CF wrapping, compared to a solid steel sporter barrel (using this example for equal weight comparison), that when the molecules begin moving around more from increased temperatures, they become very whippy and unpredictable causing "fliers".

Yup. There could be benefits that outweigh the thermal detriments of CF wrapped barrels. Consistent POI would be a big benefit.

Also, a super stiff and consistant POI barrel would be a great suppressor host, because it won't cause the barrel to droop from the weight during shot-strings, shifting POI.

It's one of a group of wildcat cartridges developed by Rich Sherman (elkaholic) who is a member here. It stands for 6.5 Sherman Shortmag.

Thanks...is it a mag bolt face, short action cartridge? I was in another thread talking to elkaholic about his 6.5 Sherman in a long action...

6.5 Sherman Shortmag
61.2 gr H-1000
It's a slightly shortened SAUM case with a longer neck and the shoulder blown out to 40*

Next to a 270wsm w/140bergers
IMG_5026.JPG

Thanks...is it a mag bolt face, short action cartridge? I was in another thread talking to elkaholic about his 6.5 Sherman in a long action...
Yes, the Sherman line of wildcats use the standard .308/.30-06 bolt face, and are for LA rifles. The SS (Sherman Shortmag) line are magnum SA cartridges.

Wow,quite the thread.My thoughts,Proof has father son team won 3 gun in 2015,speed rounds.As others mentioned if you compare flute etc,not much difference.But if you want light can get it. I have a 7-2 oz. 338 NM since 2010,many game animals with rifle and various shooters.Have a friend at Defiance with Bartelin fluted , 338NM shoots real well.There are military applications and many AR barrels out there by Proof, they seem to be working.If I was spending my money would probably go steel unless weight was a factor.I mainley hunt so I favor a lighter set up.Proof use to have a video where they shot a fast as you can wor bolt 5 shot group by Gregg, there stock maker and it held,338 NM.They are pricey now,my stuffs older.I live 100 yrds from Defiance and 2 miles from Proof -so why not try them out was my process.

The SSmag is on our left?

You are able to get 61+ gr of powder in there?

Correct the SS is on the left.

Yes with ease, it's a compressed load but no powder crunching while seating.

I would like to try CA carbon barrel and see how they compare. From talking with others the CA barrels shoot very well also but I've wondered if they retain POI as the barrel heats up like the proofs do?

Correct the SS is on the left.

Yes with ease, it's a compressed load but no powder crunching while seating.

I would like to try CA carbon barrel and see how they compare. From talking with others the CA barrels shoot very well also but I've wondered if they retain POI as the barrel heats up like the proofs do?

Was it hard to get a proof research carbon barrel chambered in a wildcat cartridge? What was the wait time? Did your smith or Proof Research do the chambering?

I have a ton of 270 win brass to blow out to a 6.5 Sherman...

Was it hard to get a proof research carbon barrel chambered in a wildcat cartridge? What was the wait time? Did your smith or Proof Research do the chambering?

I have a ton of 270 win brass to blow out to a 6.5 Sherman...
Contact Rich Sherman, he's a member here. His username is elkaholic. Shoot him a PM, and ask him, and he can give you all info you are looking for.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.