Proof vs Christensen Carbon

Was it hard to get a proof research carbon barrel chambered in a wildcat cartridge? What was the wait time? Did your smith or Proof Research do the chambering?

I have a ton of 270 win brass to blow out to a 6.5 Sherman...
Was it hard to get a proof research carbon barrel chambered in a wildcat cartridge? What was the wait time? Did your smith or Proof Research do the chambering?

I have a ton of 270 win brass to blow out to a 6.5 Sherman...

PM incoming

Contact Rich Sherman, he's a member here. His username is elkaholic. Shoot him a PM, and ask him, and he can give you all info you are looking for.

Thanks...I have communicated with elkaholic...he even gave me his preferred smith...just wondering out loud if I can get this cartridge in a 28" carbon wrapped barrel...with a barrel nut...as I ship it out to elkaholic's smith...

Last edited:
Thanks...I have communicated with elkaholic...he even gave me his preferred smith...just wondering out loud if I can get this cartridge in a 28" carbon wrapped barrel...with a barrel nut...as I ship it out to elkaholic's smith...
Im sure you can as long as you have Rich's smith cut the chamber. I think his preferred smith has the reamers, and I know Rich sells the dies and brass himself, and has them in stock.

Proof makes savage Prefits, Stockys carries them.

I have one in 6.5x284...28" 1-8 twist...

Trying to put this thread back on track...

Attachments

• Mausingfield 2.jpg
    Mausingfield 2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 135
Is that a 700 action with a Sako extractor? Where did you get the PR prefit with the nut setup?

As much as I hate Savages, that prefit setup with the way that nut system looks isn't bad.

Is that a 700 action with a Sako extractor? Where did you get the PR prefit with the nut setup?

As much as I hate Savages, that prefit setup with the way that nut system looks isn't bad.

It is a Mausingfield action from the American Rifle Company...

Has a 700 foot print...

Got the PR barrel on sale....from Stocky Stocks...

https://www.americanrifle.com/

If you don't mind, Prieto, is that a javelina acting as your gun bearer ? Just curious, is all. Thanks,
Gregg

Yup. Killed it @500 yds.

My 28" Proof carbon barrel is spitting out 140gr bullets @ 3123fps W/O pressure signs with RL26. I have some more rounds loaded to find out were max load is for this powder/cartridge. Cartridge is 6.5x284... The barrel did not copper up at all during the first 100 rounds. I expect the barrel to get a bit faster...

Honest question...what makes a barrel slow? Another hijack but we are still talking about Proof barrels...:)

I don't know what happens on the inside that slows the bullets so much and increases the pressure. I'd like to know

I'm using a switchlug in mine and it is very easy to use. I even run different calibers on my rifle with minor scope adjustments between changes.

Yup. Killed it @500 yds.

I don't know what happens on the inside that slows the bullets so much and increases the pressure. I'd like to know

I'm using a switchlug in mine and it is very easy to use. I even run different calibers on my rifle with minor scope adjustments between changes.
Yeah, I've been off-and-on about building a switch-barrel 700 for about 10 years now, but I just never seem to go for it when I take a rifle to my gunsmith. I never have the money to buy more than 1 barrel at the time, so I always just say "Ehh, screw it, I'll do it next go-round..." Then next time I get parts gathered up, once again, no extra cash for more than 1 tube, so same thing, "Ehh, screw it, I'll do it next time..." Etc... Etc... And the cycle continues. :(

Yeah, I've been off-and-on about building a switch-barrel 700 for about 10 years now, but I just never seem to go for it when I take a rifle to my gunsmith. I never have the money to buy more than 1 barrel at the time, so I always just say "Ehh, screw it, I'll do it next go-round..." Then next time I get parts gathered up, once again, no extra cash for more than 1 tube, so same thing, "Ehh, screw it, I'll do it next time..." Etc... Etc... And the cycle continues. :(

I have two of these actions...I have all three bolt heads...build what you want...

Does anyone know if the pre-fits Stocky's carries have a threaded muzzle? Their stock picture on the website makes it look not threaded. I can find out Monday, but if anyone here ordered from them I'd like to know.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.