Proof vs Christensen Carbon

Would you give some specifics about "balance nicer".

For me...my 28" Sedero profile steel barrel with flutes is much more "nose" heavy compared to my 28" Proof Research carbon barrel. The Proof Research barrel puts the balance point much more towards the butt of the stock. Much easier to hold when not using a fixed rest...

I could appreciate less weight and better balance.

I'd like to be able to melonite the steel barrel core prior to carbon wrapping - but that may be like walking on water.

Logistically speaking. All machine work would need to be complete prior to carbon wrapping the nitrided core.

Another High-jack-er: On the cooling of carbon fiber wrapped barrels issue:
In the pursuit of high performance in turbocharged diesel engines insulating wraps are designed for the exhaust side of the turbocharger. You install the wrap on the exhaust side of the turbocharger and the first three feet of the exhaust pipe. This forces the heat back into the turbo housing, forcing the hot gases to leave slightly quicker.

Forcing the exhaust to leave the housing quicker, the turbocharger's impeller is driven faster, providing more boost on the intake side.

However, this improvement might, while providing a measurable performance boost, remain imperceptible to the user - if the user is already abusing the machine.

This perceived upgrade is then blown out of the exhaust pipe for those who seek advantage outside the designed implication.

As far as heat in carbon fiber wrapped barrels? I think the same thing is happening. The heat is simply not being absorbed by what would be "the rest of the barrel" and the carbon fiber is acting as an outer insulator.

When choosing one company's barrel over another I would look at the history of their barrel wrap integrity, the quality of their liner and the availability of your desired options. If the integrity and quality of liner are there - they will all shoot with safe loads tuned to their individual idiocyncrasies.

For me...my 28" Sedero profile steel barrel with flutes is much more "nose" heavy compared to my 28" Proof Research carbon barrel. The Proof Research barrel puts the balance point much more towards the butt of the stock. Much easier to hold when not using a fixed rest...
If those two rifles have the same actions, stocks, and scopes, I would be interested in knowing exactly where the balance point is on each one.

If those two rifles have the same actions, stocks, and scopes, I would be interested in knowing exactly where the balance point is on each one.

What is funny is that those two rifles have the same action, same scope and the same rings. Stocks weight about the same. The metal barrel has a muzzle brake on it, the Proof Research does not.

Just ran out to the garage and did a course balance test...

The Proof Research balanced around the barrel-action junction.

The metal barrel balanced approx 1.5" to 2" in-front of the barrel-action junction.

Another High-jack-er: On the cooling of carbon fiber wrapped barrels issue:
In the pursuit of high performance in turbocharged diesel engines insulating wraps are designed for the exhaust side of the turbocharger. You install the wrap on the exhaust side of the turbocharger and the first three feet of the exhaust pipe. This forces the heat back into the turbo housing, forcing the hot gases to leave slightly quicker.

Forcing the exhaust to leave the housing quicker, the turbocharger's impeller is driven faster, providing more boost on the intake side.

However, this improvement might, while providing a measurable performance boost, remain imperceptible to the user - if the user is already abusing the machine.

This perceived upgrade is then blown out of the exhaust pipe for those who seek advantage outside the designed implication.

As far as heat in carbon fiber wrapped barrels? I think the same thing is happening. The heat is simply not being absorbed by what would be "the rest of the barrel" and the carbon fiber is acting as an outer insulator.

When choosing one company's barrel over another I would look at the history of their barrel wrap integrity, the quality of their liner and the availability of your desired options. If the integrity and quality of liner are there - they will all shoot with safe loads tuned to their individual idiocyncrasies.
As someone who has spent many years messing with diesel performance and turbos, that is a great analogy.

Yeah. But this is super-duper carbon wrap, including the kryptonite.

Say what sells. That's the salesman motto. Or starve.

Yeah. But this is super-duper carbon wrap, including the kryptonite.

Say what sells. That's the salesman motto. Or starve.
I agree that the whole "better heat dissipation" part is snake oil, but it's mostly a misnomer, that I have even been guilty of using as a simplified form of this explaination...

Carbon fiber (REAL carbon fiber and G10) wrapped barrels have proven to be more heat resistant (more dense, less absorbent) than metal not only because of the CF's dense and resistant nature, but also because there is less steel in the barrel to absorb and hold heat. Therefore, it feels cooler to the touch externally, because it does not allow the high heat to transfer that deep to reach the outer layers, but internally it is the same hot temp. That being said, the CF wrapped barrels cool down MUCH faster because there is less steel in them to hold in that heat, and the carbon doesn't hardly absorb any of it.

Think of the heat dissipation sort of like comparing a pencil-thin sporter barrel vs. an M24 or heavy palma contour varmint barrel. It takes the varmint barrel longer to heat up, but it also takes it longer to cool back down because there's more metal holding in the heat.

Last edited:
When comparing a Proof Research barrel to a steel barrel, you need to consider more than just carbon fiber vs steel. You need to consider the specifics because comparisons vary.

For anyone interested, I'll give you an example to compare.

Compare the weight of a Proof 26" 338 Sendero contour to a 26" Bartlein Sendero contour with 8 flutes.

As for balance:
There is a story on this website called: A Reconstructed Ruger by ah . . . Les Voth.

That rifle is the one in my avatar leaning casually against that very dead deer. I have some real fine rifles. Rifles that I've fantasized owning and shooting for a long lifetime. That Ruger ain't one of them. It ain't a fantasy type rifle. But! That Ruger is the best balanced rifle I own!

That ugly stick balances right on the front action screw. It also shoots 140 grain Hornadys into the same hole at 100 yards so it gets the call when something big's gotta go down.

I have a proof barrel and really like it. My only complaint it's that it is very slow.
It's a 24" sendero light chambered in 6.5 GAP and the 140 Bergers struggle to reach 3000+ FPS. And pressure signs are evident on my cases. 60gr of H1000 seems to be the magic recipe, well... not for me. Other than that, it is super accurate, super confortable to carry and as a bonus, it looks super cool.
BDDDF0B4-CAF7-4D5F-AB97-60233956C7DC.jpeg

Edd,

I can't get any more specific than what others have said about the balance and feel. For me the balance and feel of the rifle along with the performance of the few that I have been able to work with made me change my mind about the worth of having one. So the only fact that I can give you is that before using a Proof built rifle and two that we built for customers convinced me that the extra money spent for one is worth it to me.

Wish I could be more specific for you.

Steve

With the heavier contour barrels in use on LRH rifles, the rifles will surely be less barrel heavy. The center of gravity should move back toward the action with a carbon wrapped barrel, compared to similar diameter steel. On the moderate weight rifles I backpack hunt with, a heavier contour barrel is a pain in the *** to carry around. Balance sucks.

So if I was going to purchase a stiffer/heavier contour barrel, carbon wrapped would be an improvement - for both weight and balance.

It would also lighten the checking account, and make it more difficult to balance! But we only live once.

I have a proof barrel and really like it. My only complaint it's that it is very slow.
It's a 24" sendero light chambered in 6.5 GAP and the 140 Bergers struggle to reach 3000+ FPS. And pressure signs are evident on my cases. 60gr of H1000 seems to be the magic recipe, well... not for me. Other than that, it is super accurate, super confortable to carry and as a bonus, it looks super cool.
View attachment 88183
If you don't mind, Prieto, is that a javelina acting as your gun bearer ? Just curious, is all. Thanks,
Gregg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts