Problems with Lawton actions?

Alaskan338Lapua

The coldest state with the hottest governer!
I recieved and action from lawton and the bolt handle was installed with a slight cant to it. I contacted Lawton and they were graceious and offeered to fix the problem at no charge. I am just curious if my case is an isolated incident or have there been others with my same misfortune? How are your actions stacking up against versieco, Surgeon and others?

I have purchased two Lawton 7500's within the last 6 months. One needed to have the bolt lugs lapped just a little and the other one was good to go.
I would definitely buy from them again.
Second one took 3 weeks from order to receipt.
Dave

I have had several large problems with a Lawton barreled action. I will not go into the exact problems at this time because I am attempting to get some answer or attempt at resolution from Lawton. I had always been given the impression that Barney Lawton was an honest man and hope that Lawton at least explains what has happened. No resolution has been offered in the last 2 months. The gun does shoot very well but problems with finish, time frame, promises, wrong parts sent and price change. I had planned on ordering several more barreled actions from them soon but not until some attempt at resolution is made.

We learned that after waiting two years to get our rifles, Lawton had a run of bad welding of the bolt handles. My friends bolt handle came off while he chambered his first round. We used another gunsmith ( I can not find his name but have his phone) to replace the bolt handle at 701-794-3276. This gunsmith replaced my bolt handle and my friends with a weld covering a greater surface area. He also replaced the wacked out Lawton Machine bolt handle with a straight SSG style handle for me that should have been on my rifle in the first place.
I complained to Lawton about the bolt and sent it back and they bent it in another direction and down, that it was impractical to use with gloves. I have had better customer service at McDonalds. Check your bedding too, they did not use a release on mine and it had ripples and
had to get redone too. Lawton Machine's shop manager wrote me a hand written letter apologizing for the problems. When I finally went to zero my gun before my hunting trip, I discovered that the ammo would not feed from the AI magazine, out of the badger bottom metal into the chamber.
They never ramped the bottom metal and the receiver. Savage factory hunting rifles compared to Lawton Machine have ramped receivers, bolt handles that can be operated with the palm of your hand, and can feed ammo too!
If we could do it again we would use Surgeon Actions and another gunsmith.

The worst service I have ever seen! They are a joke,it is sad what has happened to Lawton.I would not trust them to make a dog house.

I have to agree about Lawton's customer service. I bought a Lawton 7500 action and the scope base they sent with the action would not fit. I called and explained the situation and was told there was run of bad bases. They promptly sent me a new base, still did not fit. So now I'm ****ed. You would think if you spend $950 on an action/scope base it would be right. I sent the action back to be checked. When I received it back the scope base was installed. All they did was open up one of the holes in the scope base so it would fit on the action. It looked like someone took a hand drill and wallowed out the hole. Needless to say I got a refund and will never deal with them again. To top it off, they try to charge me a$90 restocking fee for returning the action.

So far it sounds like Lawton's problems aren't isolated...so what's happened...anyone have a clue? Is it cost cutting...to many orders...can't get qualified skilled employees...change of ownership? Any knowledge or opinions from anyone?

ive been out of the game for a while but the owner who is the nicest guy to deal with. ive spent hours on the phone talking to him years ago. Got very sick and i think his wife took over or is working on running it

I haven't been in their shop since Barney passed, it's a real bummer to hear of problems with their stuff. My father in-law worked with Barney when he first started in town and I spent some time down there watching how things worked, Barney did some real cool stuff, it was when all the Cheytac stuff was starting to come into play. Just remember when your ****ed that this is a small business in a small town and Barney was a key person in both, his passing has been a blow to this community and it will probly take a little to get thing back to where they should be. I hope they can pull it together, I need to get a barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.