Problems with new barrel???

scdogman

Attached are pictures of brass fired from a new barrel. Can anyone tell me what would causes these marks? Also should I send the barrel back? Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_4529.jpg
    IMG_4529.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4534.jpg
    IMG_4534.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4531.jpg
    IMG_4531.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 120
Attached are pictures of brass fired from a new barrel. Can anyone tell me what would causes these marks? Also should I send the barrel back? Is this normal?

Thanks for the help.

The chamber is a little larger than the case and the mark is where the case web starts and doesn't enlarge when fired.

It is not unusual for factory barrels, but if it is a custom barrel, the reamer is on the excessive size, or the cases are below the minimum chamber size.

The only other thing it could be is case stretch from to much head space.

J E CUSTOM

The barrel is a custom 28 nosler. Some of the ammo was factory nosler trophy grade ammo. I pulled 11 bullets, deprimed, resized and loaded them. Marks are on all the ammo, but more pronounced on my Handload.

The load ammo was cheaper than buying new brass.

I put the barrel on myself and feel go about the headspace. I have both the go and no-go gauge.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Polish the chamber in that area with 320 wet & dry wrapped around a wooden dowel. Measure the case heads,, then measure above/at the 'line'. www.saami.org has the print. Is the area that you measured above/at the 'line' bigger than the SAAMI print? (chamber print and cartridge print are on the same page. chamber print is at the bottom of the page)

As J E Custom stated it could be case stretch from head space. You could try fire forming a virgin case in your chamber. Mabey use a mid-range load and jam the bullet in the rifling if possible to eliminate the firing pin strike. If the line doesn't appear on that case then it would be head space. Just a though.

I bought the both gauges, so I will remove the ejector and check the headspace again.

Headspace measures fine with both gauges. Also, factory ammo and loaded ammo measures .55 at base per saami. Fired brass measured the same.

Also, the brass is not stretched.

Could it just be scratches in chamber from the cutting that wasn't polished properly?

Not sure if the picture shows enough detail, but this are circular rings/stratches. You can almost could each distinct lines.

Again thanks to looking and your suggestion.

Take a look in the chamber and see if there are marks inside. Chambers shouldn't need to be polished after reaming if they are cut properly, but if everything else was ok it would be your call if you want to try and fix it or send it back.

Thanks for all the help.

Took rifle with gauges to a shop. Headspace was fine. They used a scope and decided the rings were caused by imperfections in chamber. Stated that all looked good, but he could feel the small imperfections by running something over it.

Other than ugly brass, there wasn't any danger.

My options are to shoot like this or have manufacturer polish the area.

Thanks again for the help!!!!!!!

This doesn't look like a chamber mark at all. It looks like a case stretch mark. A couple ways to deal with this. It will only stretch on the first firing as long as you either neck size only or adjust your full length die to only bump the shoulder .001".

The next is to run the barrel down a little deeper to be some drag when closing on the go. Some guys will even use their new ammo as a gauge. Drawback to that is your sizing die may not bump it enough to chamber easy later on or a different lot of brass may not chamber at all.

Another option is to back your sizing die up till your brass just fit in the chamber. This is what I would do. There is not rule you have to have it cam over tight on the shell holder.

There is no accuracy in running minimum head space and you are miles from anything dangerous unless you keep sizing the shoulder back too much and eventually you will start having head separations.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.