Problem with new factory 7prc ammo

Hornady is THE worst company I have ever dealt with in the industry…this is why I refused to even chamber ONE of their cartridges in ANY job I ever did. Their SAAMI spec is WRONG and they won't address the issue.😃💩💩💩

Cheers.
The crap thing is they get so much right but then fumble the chamber/brass/die dimensions which messes a bunch of stuff up.

Hornady is THE worst company I have ever dealt with in the industry…this is why I refused to even chamber ONE of their cartridges in ANY job I ever did. Their SAAMI spec is WRONG and they won't address the issue.😃💩💩💩

Cheers.
How is their SAAMI spec wrong? Curious because I thought they developed the cartridge and got SAAMI approval

How is their SAAMI spec wrong? Curious because I thought they developed the cartridge and got SAAMI approval
That is correct and they spec'd it how they decided so technically the spec isn't wrong but it doesn't work properly. They have issues sizing brass, basically you need a small base die or a different reamer for everything to function properly.

I'm disappointed in the Hornady PRC line as a whole for reloaders. So far, we need our rifles custom reamed to take advantage of the calibers offered. And the brass sucks, or the good stuff is unavailable. For now, I'll stick with older, established cartridges. I just bought a 300 Win Mag with a 8" twist. With the right bullet selection, I'll be in the 300 PRC's range easily, with no fuss. Of course, I can't find magnum primers… But that's another can of worms. In the 7mm, I'll stick with my 7-08 and 280AI. If I want a 6.5, I'd go with the 6.5-284 Norma.

Now, if all I was going to shoot was factory stuff, maybe the PRC makes sense. But I will say that the factory stuff I've found for my new 300WM is very accurate.

I just ordered a couple boxes of factory hornady 175eld ammo for the 7 prc. Open the box and immediately noticed the raised outer ring on the base of the case. It sticks up a good 6-8 thou. More than likely going to cause some headspace issues and I can't imagine it's good for the accuracy department.
I have pressure problems with 7 mm prc 175eldx. Blew a couple primers out. Heavy bolt pressure on eject. Pulled bullets weight of powder 70.6 gr. Factory load.

I have pressure problems with 7 mm prc 175eldx. Blew a couple primers out. Heavy bolt pressure on eject. Pulled bullets weight of powder 70.6 gr. Factory load.
What rifle? Factory, custom? First time having this problem? Sounds like a headspace issue.

I just ordered a couple boxes of factory hornady 175eld ammo for the 7 prc. Open the box and immediately noticed the raised outer ring on the base of the case. It sticks up a good 6-8 thou. More than likely going to cause some headspace issues and I can't imagine it's good for the accuracy department.
Well, I thought I would try the 7mm PRC rifle got the Ruger as I was not sure what I would think about the caliber. I really wanted a Weatherby 7mm weatherby magnum with the right twist rate to shoot the heavier bullets. Got the rifle for a birthday present bought several boxes of the precision hunter 175 grn ELDX. A week later was zeroing/breaking in the new rifle. While shooting some of the Hornady rounds definitely were hotter than others, bolt felt gritty after what seemed to be hotter, unloaded, cleaned and wiped down the bolt, and continued to zero, had several more rounds that seemed hotter and then bolt was hard to extract the fired round from the chamber followed by grittiness, unloaded and repeated the same procedure, last 5 shots a bit of an MOA at 100yards. But upon cleaning the rifle some cycling of the bolt felt gritty, although the bolt appeared clean. Contacted Ruger, rifle now with them for repairs. Contacted Hornady and now my shot box of brass and the unshot box are with Hornady for evaluation. I thought I had the lot# of ammunition. I will provide any updates as I hear back. My advice contact Hornady prior to shooting I did not do a visual on my ammunition wish I would have.

Yes I just had a similar experience on Sept 17th and my new rifle off to Ruger for repairs and shot box of ELDX and un-shot box back to to Hornady.

Recent Posts