Problem with new .260 barrel

Justice1327

I just got my custom built 260 Remington back. It is a 24 inch Bartlein 3B contour. It was supposed to be 1-8 twist. It is even stamped on the barrel. While I was cleaning it I noticed the cleaning rod was spinning fairly quick. Most of my rifles are 1-9 or 1-10 twist. So I decided to measure the twist and five out of five times I came up with a 1-7 twist. Now I can't say if Bartlein sent the wrong barrel or if the builder simply used the wrong barrel.
I don't feel 1-7 is optimal for the 120 to 140 grain I had planned on using and I don't want to waste components trying to find out.
So my question is this: since I have a 1-7 twist is that a better twist for hammer/mono bullets? I have never shot them and do not know the unique details of reloading for them.(bullet Weight and pwdr load)This gun was intended to be a deer rifle with some 700 yard and under steel target shooting. Recommendations are appreciated.

Last edited:
My 3 260 Rem's all have 1/8 twist Bbl's. Exceptional accuracy with 120 to 130gr mono bullets. Barnes, Hammer, & Badlands Precision brands. Rel 26 powder. Feel free to PM me if you would like.

My 3 260 Rem's all have 1/8 twist Bbl's. Exceptional accuracy with 120 to 130gr mono bullets. Barnes, Hammer, & Badlands Precision brands. Rel 26 powder. Feel free to PM me if you would like.
But mine has 1-7 twist, still acceptable?

Last edited:
Talk to the builder ..what weight bullets do you plan on shooting? ..my 260 shoots 140 gr hornydaddy very well with h4350 in 1-8 twist. Stock browning with 1-7 twist shoots 143&147 very well with h4350 in the manbun gun too
So your browning .260 has 1-7 twist and has good velocity/ accuracy with those weight and brand bullets?

Faster twist = better terminal ballistics on game. ALL my 6.5mm barrels are 1:7.5", even when shooting 130s at 3200+fps. It will work phenomenally with 140s. And a 131 or 137 Hammer Hunter will really shine in a 1:7". And yet, a 124 Hammer Hunter will still work great. I don't even think you would overspin an 85 V-max unless you hit something like 3400fps.

Faster twist = better terminal ballistics on game. ALL my 6.5mm barrels are 1:7.5", even when shooting 130s at 3200+fps. It will work phenomenally with 140s. And a 131 or 137 Hammer Hunter will really shine in a 1:7". And yet, a 124 Hammer Hunter will still work great. I don't even think you would overspin an 85 V-max unless you hit something like 3400fps.
Thank you
. The 137 gr Hammer Hunter requires a 1-6.5 twist all of the other offerings will work great in the 1-7 twist . Look up Hammer 6.5 cal bullets and they will show the recommended minimum twist , you can't over spin them . Recheck your twist it might be a 1-7.5 twist . I have a Bartlien and it's 1-7.5 . I think you are better off with that fast twist , go shoot it .

Checked 5 times…it is a 1-7. Contacted the builder and he verified they used the wrong barrel. Thanks for the info…I will order some hammers and see what all the hub-bub is about.

Checked 5 times…it is a 1-7. Contacted the builder and he verified they used the wrong barrel. Thanks for the info…I will order some hammers and see what all the hub-bub is about.
Another thing you will find with Bartlien 5r cut rifling the faster twist is not as hard on jacketed bullets as button 6 groove rifling , example my Proof Research has a 1-8 and my Bartlien has a 1-7.5 The Bartlien will handle anything monos or jacketed , If I went faster in the Proof , I was told the thin jacketed bullets may not make it too the target . I would say the 1-7 will handle anything in the Bartlien 5R cut rifling , keep us informed , good shooting.