New Barrel Problem??

RODSTRADLEY

Just received a cut rifled 6.5 Grendel barrel and it came from a very reputable company. I looked at the bore and looks nice except at the gas port and I don't like what I see. Before I call them I wanted some of you to look at the problem area and help me make a decision. Never have seen one quite like this.
Gas Port New Barrel Feb 2021. II.jpg
Gas Port New Barrel Feb 2021.jpg

Is there something inside it the gas port is that what your wondering?

No that is the nylon mesh sleeve protector on the out side of the barrel that is red. I am looking at the drill job for the port itself.

Called them after hours Friday and left a message, will see what happens then. I was wanting to find out if some shooters would call this gas port hole acceptable or not, this why I posted it.

On a radius, you won't get a perfectly round hole on the edges. It will be oblong. Is that your worry? Or the tooling marks? Hard to polish out tooling marks halfway down the inside of the barrel.

I say assemble and shoot.

The roughness of hole and the exit at the bore is not the best that I have seen.
It is not saying that it won't shot good but the cleaning of it? Oh I forgot the wait time and shooting season is coming quick!

I have accepted the gas port hole roughness after a few e-mails with the maker. So I started getting my oal with what I like to shoot and found the throat need reamed .095 longer. Called them back and with a weeks wait for a reply, that I could send it back for inspection but the wait is going to kill me with the build. So I did the reaming after I made a camber bushing with a stop collar that I used a feeler gauge between the bushing and stop collar, worked like a charm! The people at Satern are really good but also very very busy!
20210318_212307.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.