Barrel problem

6mm06guy

i have been assembling parts for an oddball long range rig for quite some time, but i may have made a big mistake. i have every part for the gun except the barrel. i'm building an 8mm remington mag with a sendero profile. i wont name the company atm, but they no longer make an 8mm carbon fiber barrel. i know its my own fault i should have ordered the barrel first. does any one know of a company that will wrap a blank for me or am i screwed and have to just carry the extra weight.

<SNIPPED STUFF> I'm building an 8mm Remington Mag with a Sendero profile. I won't name the company, but they no longer make an 8mm carbon fiber barrel. <SNIPPED STUFF>
I thought, "That can't be right" but when I searched, you are correct (as of 3-24-19):
Christensen Arms was a NO
Proof Research was a NO
BSF Barrels was a NO
CarbonSix was a NO

CarbonSix makes it seem like you can 'make your own' but then they don't list .323 (8mm) as an option. Christensen Arms makes it sound like they'll make you a barrel blank and then you can have it drilled and rifled to whatever you want, but again, they don't show .323 (8mm) as a choice. Still, I think I'd e-mail or call them. If they did 8mm before and just don't list it now, perhaps they'd do a one off for you since they'd still have the tools to make it happen? If they won't do that, I wonder if they would at least sell you a carbon-wrapped barrel blank that you could then send it off to be drilled and rifled in 8mm by someone else.

If no carbon wrapped barrel is possible, perhaps a steel barrel with heavy fluting? There is a calculator you can use here to see what the final weight would be:
http://riflebarrels.com/computer-software/

I thought, "That can't be right" but when I searched, you are correct (as of 3-24-19):
Christensen Arms was a NO
Proof Research was a NO
BSF Barrels was a NO
CarbonSix was a NO

CarbonSix makes it seem like you can 'make your own' but then they don't list .323 (8mm) as an option. Christensen Arms makes it sound like they'll make you a barrel blank and then you can have it drilled and rifled to whatever you want, but again, they don't show .323 (8mm) as a choice. Still, I think I'd e-mail or call them. If they did 8mm before and just don't list it now, perhaps they'd do a one off for you since they'd still have the tools to make it happen? If they won't do that, I wonder if they would at least sell you a carbon-wrapped barrel blank that you could then send it off to be drilled and rifled in 8mm by someone else.

If no carbon wrapped barrel is possible, perhaps a steel barrel with heavy fluting? There is a calculator you can use here to see what the final weight would be:
http://riflebarrels.com/computer-software/
I have called every listed company, but the answer is always no. I'm waiting for a reply from c6, but they were unsure Friday

Hells canyon maybe? I reached out to Mike on a Sunday night, via their website link for questions, inquiring about a fast twist .257 bbl and he replied within 30 minutes. I ended up ordering it from him within a couple days of that. I don't have it yet and this is my first dealings with them but so far it's been a very pleasant experience.

I hope CarbonSix can give you great news on Monday. To think you are all ready to finish up your project only to find the barrel you wanted is no longer easily acquired. So frustrating. What are the odds a 'used' one will ever show up for sale? Not very good, I'm sure. Fingers are crossed for you.

Hells canyon maybe? I reached out to Mike on a Sunday night, via their website link for questions, inquiring about a fast twist .257 bbl and he replied within 30 minutes. I ended up ordering it from him within a couple days of that. I don't have it yet and this is my first dealings with them but so far it's been a very pleasant experience.
I hadn't heard of them, but I love they use the barrels they do. I just emailed them, thanks.

Barrels are made off the centerline of the bore after there drilled, button pulled barrels are stress relieved after the button process.

i have been assembling parts for an oddball long range rig for quite some time, but i may have made a big mistake. i have every part for the gun except the barrel. i'm building an 8mm remington mag with a sendero profile. i wont name the company atm, but they no longer make an 8mm carbon fiber barrel. i know its my own fault i should have ordered the barrel first. does any one know of a company that will wrap a blank for me or am i screwed and have to just carry the extra weight.

Call Alamo Precision Rifles in Hurst, TX ask for Robert. He might can help you out.

I talked to Robert, he is pretty sure he will be able to take care of you. They make there own carbon barrels that are amazing. He said to give him a call.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts