Primer issues... does anyone have insight to the new lead-free primers mandated by the government with aluminum as a catalyst?

When I was a kid in rural Louisiana, we didn't have an "ecosystem." There were lead pipes, copper pipes, soldered gutters for water into the cistern. Agrichemicals in the air very often that the rain washed into our water. DDT, Chlordane, Arsenic, HeptaChlor, leaded gasoline, lead based paint, creosote wood products for fence post and piers. We burned our own trash. And of course the brakes, gaskets, insulation and all was asbestos. And of course we had no air conditioning at all and butane for hot water heater, stove and space heaters. Now California leads us a merry chase to do away with all those bad things and will replace them with windmills, solar electric cars with huge heavy metal batteries. Where does the tire material go as tires wear out? HaHa We are fools...
All that is taking 500% more material to provide that. So what is better? Not to speak of the birds that are being killed by the wind machines or solar heat. They don't want to tell you about that. Natural gas and Atomic energy are the cleanest, and cheapest energy around. But stupid people don't understand and never will. They don't want Dam to hold Water Either. I say if they don't want that, then shut off their water, gas, electric, and sewer. That way they are not using it, and doing there part. Good luck staying alive. AOC has her head in the sand it's unbelievable how many stupid people follow her. Europe is stopping there Atomic energy use and it's increasing their cost by 45%.

Hey( Calling for life) where did you get your information on Washington banning copper. My family homesteaded on the place I live in 1886 and to this day Iv'e yet to see anything about copper . Lead yes on federal lands and state wet lands and it includes upland birds as well . Maybe state lands also , I really don't give a dang , But I do know what's best for my property and I don't need someone from another state informing me what's going on here. Heck I just ran a batch of moon shine off my Grand fathers still made out of a copper boiler and soldered with lead 90 years ago . I do get a twitch now and then , don't know if it;s the lead or the copper, what do you think?

Yep, the Republik of Kalifornia is such a good place to live! I heard that they were trying to pass a law that required residents producing income to pay income tax for ten years after moving out of state. Somebody needs to support all the welfare recipients and illegal aliens.

I can see all those smoking hot, heavy bismuth atoms torched up by aluminum & fueled by nitrocellulose blasting into some slow burning double base powder. This would make small sized rifle primers equal to some large size rifle primers. In some tough, small primer cases like the 6.5X47 L operating in the mid 60K psi range zippy velocities could be obtained. Shooting deers in dark cold forests would be more certain with small rifle primer rounds.

Great thread!

Read the article. Looks to be a better ignition system than we are currently using. I didn't see any reference to mandates or making the current primers illegal. Also I didn't see any reference to shorter shelf life. Do the components in the new primer degrade faster than the current formula? This I would like to know.

After reading the article my biggest question is how do I get them? A more complete and consistent burn of the powder sounds great.

Something I haven't noticed in the comments. "If" this is a reality, and as someone suggested, these primers will burn hotter.....could this be another government overreach/step by the EPA to hinder/limit firearm ownership? It would not the first time that the EPA made rules that made the shooting/hunting sports much more expensive in the name of ecology!

If the primers burn hotter, could this damage primer pockets, causing much shorter useable case life.....another step in essentially pricing hand loading out of reach for many of us!

Just thinking out of the box! memtb

Yep, the Republik of Kalifornia is such a good place to live! I heard that they were trying to pass a law that required residents producing income to pay income tax for ten years after moving out of state. Somebody needs to support all the welfare recipients and illegal aliens.
I use to call it Mex-ilfornia, now I call it Mexico North. It was a good state when I was a kid, but now is a different story.

Primers, along with other items change and improve to meet changing needs. Like, potassium perchlorate (corrosive) primers to the present lead styphnate primers (non-corrosive). Science, despite customary negative & un-informed thinking, will always progress to make more effective solutions. A real bad situation would be to allow enemies to acquire advanced destructive technology. I have no intentions of cleaning my rifle barrels with hot soapy water. I have never seen primer pockets or flash holes damaged by heat. Primer detonation duration is measured in the milliseconds. Sustained excessive heat would anneal work hardened case heads. I have seen hang fires & inadequate primer performance in near zero deg. F temps. I wear nitrile gloves while working with solvents and lead-based compounds. I always vote conservative Republican. I would cheerfully accept 5,000 primers, large rifle size mostly, of the new aluminum catalyst primers for field testing.

Primers, along with other items change and improve to meet changing needs. Like, potassium perchlorate (corrosive) primers to the present lead styphnate primers (non-corrosive). Science, despite customary negative & un-informed thinking, will always progress to make more effective solutions. A real bad situation would be to allow enemies to acquire advanced destructive technology. I have no intentions of cleaning my rifle barrels with hot soapy water. I have never seen primer pockets or flash holes damaged by heat. Primer detonation duration is measured in the milliseconds. Sustained excessive heat would anneal work hardened case heads. I have seen hang fires & inadequate primer performance in near zero deg. F temps. I wear nitrile gloves while working with solvents and lead-based compounds. I always vote conservative Republican. I would cheerfully accept 5,000 primers, large rifle size mostly, of the new aluminum catalyst primers for field testing.
At this point I think most of us would take a brick of any sort of primers we can lay our hands on if they'll just go, "boom".

Where new tech like this can be a real problem though is where the greenies start mandating it before the industry can produce them in sufficient numbers as to not create instant shortages.

Of course, with it being proprietary, you then also run the risk of putting a whole lot of people out of work in the rest of the industry before the patent runs out.

Left unrestrained, American industry has always risen to the occasion. (supply & demand) Hopefully, any patent rights (business assets) or royalties will be purchased to allow widespread production. Lots of $$ business potential. Don't think silver will replace copper bullets.

Recent Posts