Primer issues... does anyone have insight to the new lead-free primers mandated by the government with aluminum as a catalyst?

dfrahm

Does anyone have insight to the new lead-free primers mandated by the government with aluminum as a catalyst? Could that be an issue with re-tooling or something to do with the non-availability of primers?

You think lead bullets would still be legal if they had gotten all the way down to primers?

Cutting of lead from bullets should be considered an act of war, why, California and Washington already have a Copper ban in play because it is "poisoning the water."

So your copper bullets are going to go bye bye real quick too.

Banning of lead should be a bright line in the sand.

Oh, and about anything is toxic to you in the right concentration, heavy metals, even table salt can kill you, before we decide we need to head down the "look at this study" road.

I'd swallow a lead hardcast from my 500 S&W and have zero worries about it affecting my health.

Let them ban lead and get ready for all the horrible copper studies to come out, brass, etc... like noted, Cali and Washington already have copper on the "one foot out the door" program.

Copper has been the real problem in CA for many years. The copper load into San Fran Bay from upstream is major impact upon ecosystem. But since the load is coming from Silicon Valley they went after motor vehicle brake debris as the primary source when the actual load is upstream. Not to mention the millions of miles of copper water pipes along with lead solder still in the entire ecosystem from older homes.

An aluminum-based primer sounds like a good deal to me provided they are equal to current lead styphnate primers. Aluminum powder mixed with iron oxide (rust) is the ingredient for thermite used to burn thru steel & incendiary weapons - lots of energy in the aluminum. I have some Fiocchi "heavy metal free & zinc free primer mixture" small rifle magnum primers. I use these for AR loads and have had no problems like fail to fire & hang fires using a variety of ball powders. I plan to test them for accuracy using a .20P & .223.

There is some info regarding the value of lead-free primers, like: https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1203/1203.2701.pdf - the DDNP KVB-7E & KVB-9E were the weakest primers tested & had the largest SD of measured blast pressures - does not look good for accuracy. "The most obvious difference between the lead based and DDNP-based primers was a perceptible delay between firing pin strike and ignition in 15 of 19 shots with the DDNP-based primers (and one misfire)" DDNP primers apparently are not aluminum based & have a bad rep for uniformity & dependability. My Fiocchi primers are probably DDNP types. With the current primer shortage, more DDNP primers may be sold.

Thankfully, I only have 450 of the green Fiocchi primers. Probably would not work out well for precision rodent shooting with CFE 223.

Last edited:
Does anyone have insight to the new lead-free primers mandated by the government with aluminum as a catalyst? Could that be an issue with re-tooling or something to do with the non-availability of primers?
I do recall hearing Brandon say during one of his semi-conscious moments that he knew how to ban or establish major gun control measures.