Premium 22LR Rifles

The actions tend towards heavy by nature compared to comparable 700s, and the dbm and barrel contours trend towards heavy. But a lighter weight stock and a sporter taper would go a long ways, while the magazine is the beauty of the system. A Dakota m22 or silver 2500xr solution would probably get the weight down some.

It would be nice to have a 700 clone 22 lr that's closer in Wright spec to my main hunting rifle. As it sits it probably would land a good pound heavier.

I wish the 700 based .22's were more suited for hunting. Nothing about a 10+ lb squirrel rifle sounds fun. I have two vudoo and they are great target guns but way too heavy and unwieldy for a squirrel gun.

You can get it set up with a carbon fiber barrel and light stock and it will be sub 10 pounds. That said it would be cheaper to buy a cheap light rifle to shoot a squirrel. LOL

Guess that answers my question about if you tried a 700 based .22 that the discussion is about. :rolleyes:
Why would I try something that I have no interest in? I don't discount the idea that such a design has it's merits and that others might greatly enjoy them. I simply have no interest in them myself.
The R77/22 action is more appealing to me despite it's various problems. Would I choose a 77/22 to build a bench rifle from? Not hardly. To build a carrying rifle from? Definitely an action that I would consider. Though a Win 75 or a 513T barreled action are more likely what I would use to build a carry rifle. Were I buying rather than building I might be looking for a 541S, but I don't know enough about them (yet) to say for sure. My .22LR carry rifle now is a Stevens Favorite with a Marbles Tang rear and 17A front sights. Have to spend cubic dollars on a bolt to get anywhere near close to that weight. It has also been disqualified from use in any shooting comps with friends as an unfair advantage.

Last edited:
Why would I try something that I have no interest in? I don't discount the idea that such a design has it's merits and that others might greatly enjoy them. I simply have no interest in them myself. The R77/22 action is much more appealing to me despite it's various problems. Would I choose a 77/22 to build a bench rifle from? Not hardly. To build a carrying rifle from? Definitely an action that I would consider. A Win 75 or a 513T action are more likely what I would use to build a carry rifle. Were I buying rather than building I would be looking for a 541 Sporter.

Because you don't know what you don't know and you made statements about the 700 based .22s and I was wondering if they came from you trying them or just what you think might be an issue.

Because you don't know what you don't know and you made statements about the 700 based .22s and I was wondering if they came from you trying them or just what you think might be an issue.
I know what a 700SA's size is. Have handled at least a hundred of them over the years. I think that is too big of an action for a field carry .22LR. I don't have to have tried one to arrive at that opinion. I pioneered BR50 at my local range in the mid 1980's, BT, DT, not interested any more.
Just to be clear, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid me for it. :)
The best kept secret ot 22 rifles is STEYR MANNLICHER ZEPHYR II
Went looking because I had not encountered those before. Nice looking rifle. If they shoot like the Steyr's that I've encountered I'll agree!

I know what a 700SA's size is. Have handled at least a hundred of them over the years. I think that is too big of an action for a field carry .22LR. I don't have to have tried one to arrive at that opinion. I pioneered BR50 at my local range in the mid 1980's, BT, DT, not interested any more.
Just to be clear, my opinion is worth exactly what you paid me for it. :)

Yup it's worth that. Lol Just wanted anyone who was reading this where that opinion came from.

Also adding in "field carry" is starting to get more specific than we were talking.

Yup it's worth that. Lol Just wanted anyone who was reading this where that opinion came from.
It is exactly the same as everyone else's.
Also adding in "field carry" is starting to get more specific than we were talking.
This a Hunting forum, not a BR, PRS, or similar forum. Field carry, or at least carried to the field is implied.

It is exactly the same as everyone else's.

This a Hunting forum, not a BR, PRS, or similar forum. Field carry, or at least carried to the field is implied.
I wouldn't say implied if the OP didn't mention it and all through the post have been many other rifles mentioned than lightweight hunters.

Have not used their products but this gives some good info.

77/22 Description

TriggerShims 77/17 ~ 77/22 Bolt Shim Description

Item # SS-77/22-17BS

This is the Original TriggerShims Brand 77/22 Bolt Shim Kit!! Used and Approved by Thousands of Shooters Worldwide!

*The Original TriggerShims 77/17 ~ 77/22 Bolt Shims*

Q) How does a Bolt Shim Work??

A) Rimmed cartridges use the thickness of the cartridge rim for headspacing
.22 Rimfires Headspace on the Case Rim, and the actual head space is in the recessed face of the bolt. Shimming between the two bolt halves ensures the bolt is up gently tight against the breech. If the bolt isn't up close against the breech it tends to cause misfires and light strikes. If you are getting misfires and light strikes, shimming is the first, easiest step to solve it.

Generally the excess space between the two bolt halves is between .002" and .006" ~ but can be as much as .010" My 4 Pak kit includes 1 Each of ~ .002" .003" .004" .005" shims for a total of .014" potential adjustment, and thicker shims (or thinner .0015") can be requested if needed.

Accuracy problems can sometimes be caused by a loose bolt, Our Original TriggerShims Brand Bolt Shims can solve accuracy problems caused by a loose bolt.

If a .002" shim cannot be installed because the bolt will not close, or closing requires too much force, your actual working clearance is where it should be, (.001"- plus or minus .0005") and you are the lucky one to have a rifle from the factory that is already in the "Sweet Spot"

If you find Excess Tolerance Space in your rifle, even our thinnest shim has been shown to improve accuracy in most rifles where the Benchrest Shooter did a thorough before and after comparison, and if not, You Have My 100% Satisfaction Money-back Guarantee!

Flyers - if the cartridge is not Fully Consistently seated in the Breech, you will get Inconsistent Accuracy, if you are looking to solve accuracy problems, this is a First and Inexpensive place to start

77/22 Target
Our Shims are Precision USA Made of Precision Shim Stock and have a Industry Standard of Less Than < 10% Thickness Tolerance, and can be used as a measuring device for checking the excess Breech to Bolt Space if any in your rifle

Our Stainless Steel Shims will fit all 77/XX Bolts, This includes 17 Hornet, 17 HMR, 17 WSM, 22 LR, 22 WMRF, 22 Hornet, 357 Magnum, & 44 Rem Mag

TriggerShims Ruger 77 Bolt Shim 4 Pak include:
1 x .002" - 1 x .003" - 1 X .004" and 1 X .005"
for a total of .014" potential adjustment so you will be assured to have more than needed to adjust one rifle.

Our testing has shown trying to shim to less than .001" unnecessary,
and while I can make you .001" shims they are I feel too fragile to be practical

Click Here to Open my Rumble Video Instructions in a New Page

Don't be fooled by COPY~CATS Kits, This is The Original TriggerShims Brand Kit
I shimmed my bolt with these, put in a new trigger, floated the barrel on my 77/22 Hornet.
Then loaded lil Gun in it which really helped the most! Otherwise it was going down the Road.
Now it's a keeper 😀