Premium 22LR Rifles

Jud96

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a really nice 22LR rifle in the future. My budget is preferably $1500 and under. Since building custom rifles for myself, I've had the urge to buy a high quality 22LR. My Uncle has a Kimber 82 with a fluted barrel and beautiful walnut stock and that rifle is what got me wanting a nice rimfire for myself. Having said that, it doesn't seem that Kimber makes their rimfire rifles anymore and the same with Ruger's 77/22, that I also like. I don't know much about rimfires and if the Kimbers and 77/22 Rugers were accurate and reliable. For those with experience owning, shooting, and handling the Kimber 82s and Ruger 77/22s give me your thoughts and opinions on those rifles please. Also, what other premium rimfires would you recommend in my price range? I see that Cooper makes a beautiful 22LR, but the price tag is a little more than I'd like to spend on a rimfire, but other than Cooper, I don't see many classic, higher end rimfires currently available. Thank you!

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a really nice 22LR rifle in the future. My budget is preferably $1500 and under. Since building custom rifles for myself, I've had the urge to buy a high quality 22LR. My Uncle has a Kimber 82 with a fluted barrel and beautiful walnut stock and that rifle is what got me wanting a nice rimfire for myself. Having said that, it doesn't seem that Kimber makes their rimfire rifles anymore and the same with Ruger's 77/22, that I also like. I don't know much about rimfires and if the Kimbers and 77/22 Rugers were accurate and reliable. For those with experience owning, shooting, and handling the Kimber 82s and Ruger 77/22s give me your thoughts and opinions on those rifles please. Also, what other premium rimfires would you recommend in my price range? I see that Cooper makes a beautiful 22LR, but the price tag is a little more than I'd like to spend on a rimfire, but other than Cooper, I don't see many classic, higher end rimfires currently available. Thank you!
Volquartsen, Bergara, Christiansen, CZ are ones that I think of at the moment. Different brands and grades of ammunition come into play, as well.

CZ 457 American with swappable 22LR and 17 HMR barrels would be pretty sweet. There is even a version with 22LR, 17 HMR, and 22mag floating around. Very nice rifle and in the $600 range.

The CZ 457 American looks really nice! They are priced very well, and you can get pre-fit Lilja barrels for them! I may go that route. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used Cooper or used Kimber 82 if it's a nice one. Thanks! Anymore input is appreciated. Thank you.

If you want something special, I would look for an original Kimber of Oregon, and there out there, the Tikka is a great chose or simply go with the Anschutz that KyCarl recommend, the problem with the Ruger is they just don't shoot that well from the factory, the triggers are heavy and the bolt needs to be shimed.
The three mentioned above all shoot great out of the box, it's just personal preference.

CZ

I have a CZ 457 Pro Varmint in a chassis. The Boyd stock was less than desirable to me, but I was looking for the threaded barrel. Shoots really well. If I wanted something a little more classical I would get the CZ 457 Varmint in the stippled walnut stock. Pretty gun, but barrel isn't threaded for suppressor. If you are planning on a barrel swap, doesn't matter.

Friend went with the Tikka and while it shot well out of the box, he wanted to switch to a Lothar barrel and that was a nightmare. The Tikka barrel was glued in and almost impossible to get out. That was a couple years ago so they may be different now, but if not, be prepared for a battle.