Premium 22LR Rifles

Do you have a weight in mind? Does a protruding magazine bother you?

One of the coolest guns I've seen in the last few years was a custom stocked bergara b14r. It was a cooper stock for a 700 footprint that stockys had made for them in French walnut. They had the bdl cut for m5 and then dropped the b14r barreled action into the stock. Would be under 1500 for an action stock and inlet, and a fairly unique piece. Downside is a massive hanging aic mag for a not so whopping 10 rounds.

I've a few accurized 77 rifles, and love them. Don't think I could stomach current prices for how they perform. It would be tough to do a donor rifle plus barrel for 1500 let alone stock, trigger, and bolt work. All in they make for a nice hunting rifle but have IMHO been eclipsed in value for dollar.

I like the cz 455 aesthetic better than the 457 but the short bolt throw is nice. Action plus barrel will likely get you a shooter, downside is not a ton of stock options, but manners has a few as does Boyd's and of course the occasion factory wood lottery.

Last edited:
My daughter has one of the first Ruger 77/22 s and it is very accurate. I think I paid around $200 for it. Kimbers are pretty, but I have a friend with a couple of their semi-autos, and his experience with customer service has been terrible.

We have 2 Coopers, but Cooper is no more, either.

So, likely CZ. They show up here occasionally.

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting a really nice 22LR rifle in the future. My budget is preferably $1500 and under. Since building custom rifles for myself, I've had the urge to buy a high quality 22LR. My Uncle has a Kimber 82 with a fluted barrel and beautiful walnut stock and that rifle is what got me wanting a nice rimfire for myself. Having said that, it doesn't seem that Kimber makes their rimfire rifles anymore and the same with Ruger's 77/22, that I also like. I don't know much about rimfires and if the Kimbers and 77/22 Rugers were accurate and reliable. For those with experience owning, shooting, and handling the Kimber 82s and Ruger 77/22s give me your thoughts and opinions on those rifles please. Also, what other premium rimfires would you recommend in my price range? I see that Cooper makes a beautiful 22LR, but the price tag is a little more than I'd like to spend on a rimfire, but other than Cooper, I don't see many classic, higher end rimfires currently available. Thank you!

If you are used to custom and want a high end .22 then spend a little more and get a Vudoo. You will be much happier with it in the long run and the extra money will be forgotten.

How accurate is it?
This is a 50 yard target with a CZ 457 Pro Varmint in a XRS chassis with SK standard and HV ammo it does a little better with SK match and Lapua. I was playing with the tracking so the groups are all over the place.

1697760015455.jpeg

CZ 457 American with swappable 22LR and 17 HMR barrels would be pretty sweet. There is even a version with 22LR, 17 HMR, and 22mag floating around. Very nice rifle and in the $600 range.

Another vote for the CZ 455. I love mine. I bought it with the 17HMR barrel and then picked up a 22lr threaded barrel from CTD. I put a "Yo Dave" trigger spring in it too. I know the OP says the Cooper Jackson Squirrel rifle is too expensive and I would agree. I had one and it was beautiful and accurate. There was a flaw, however and it ended up being a deal killer. Even when I tried match grade ammo, the bullet would engrave into the lands upon chambering and live rounds would not extract. I did some research on it. This may be anecdotal but what I found out was that the rifle had a "crowded" throat (effectively jammed). Built that way purposely to be more accurate. I talked to a gun smith about it and he said he could go in there and push the lands forward a bit to resolve the problem but could not gaurentee the accuracy. I got sick of having to push the live round out of the rifle with a small wooden dowel every time I would hunt with it. Plus it was a safety issue. I sold it, bought the CZ, a nice optic and the extra barrel. Never looked back.