Powder for 300 RUM?

BrandonA

Hello again there, I'm just now getting through breaking my barrel in and starting to get enough empty cases where its time to experiment! Basically the barrel is going to stay factory for awhile... so 26" 10:1 twist... I'm wondering what powder most people are having success with? I was thinking of using a H1000 but would it be too slow burning for only a 26" barrel? (by the way I only plan on shooting 180g for now even though I know I'll get yelled at for not going into the 200-240grains by a few of you!) Mainly looking for options if h1000 isn't my best option to use for now.. Thanks!

[ QUOTE ]
by the way I only plan on shooting 180g for now even though I know I'll get yelled at for not going into the 200-240grains by a few of you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you seem to understand the err of your ways, I won't yell @ you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. H1000 should be a winner for this lite bullet.

Might also look @ Retumbo. Load density would be very high w/it.

H1000 will work although it isnt as well suited for this task as some other powders. Retumbo and RL-25 are near impossible to beat for the 300 RUM with anywhere from 155-200 grain bullets. The barrel life is short enough, dont waste precious bore life with the rest.

Note, many have had good luck with Retumbo and some have had so-so success. I have not seen anyone use Rl-25 in the 300 RUM and not come away with somthing awesome, myself included. I dont mess around with anything else anymore.

WC-872 also works well with 180 and heavier it will take a long neck funnel and a little case tapping and a heavily compressed load and velocity in a 26" barrell will be in the 3300 fps range and accuracy is excelent

As mentioned above Retumbo and RL- 25 are also great

Thanks for the info guys. I was worried Retumbo might not burn all the way through the shorter 26" barrel but it seems from your replies I'll be ok! I'll start with Retumbo and then go to RL-25 if I don't like the results I suppose!

I say you should try H1000 before going out and buying the other 2. H1000 was all I shot out of my 300 RUM from 150g-220g. I got great accuracy, .5-.75 MOA from factory LSS, and I still got good velocity like 3350 with 180's, 3200 with 200's, and 3000 for 220's. To say that H1000 is not very suitable is something I would tend to disagree with. With that said, I did try Retumbo in the same rifle, but to bad the barrel was pretty worn out. Retumbo won out in velocity by a whole 25fps!! Accuracy was not as great, but still pulled some 2 inch groups at 300 yards with the 200g AB.

I ordered some US 869, I thought it would be good to try. Anyone try that in the 300 RUM?

Frank D

[ QUOTE ]
I ordered some US 869, I thought it would be good to try. Anyone try that in the 300 RUM?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried w/some 210s and did not like it. Might work better w/the 220 or 240 gr bullets.

Could you be more specific Bill? What didn't you like--velocity, accuracy, etc? I should have an initial report with 240's here soon and I agree it should be much better suited for that weight.

Brandon, don't worry about burning all the powder in the 26". H1000 is on the fast side for this round (180-up) if anything. You don't need to worry about all the powder burning until you get into H50BMG territory (and even it should burn around 99%) which is much, much slower than Retumbo.

I just felt the us869 was too slow for the 210s. Velocity was good but I was getting into compressed loads and accuracy was no where near what I was getting w/Retumbo. I didn't just try one load and quit either. I played w/it for quite a while. I'll be very interested to see what you get w/that powder and the 240. Should work well!!

I don't shoot a 300RUM but I do shoot a 300Wby. It has a 26" barrel that is 1-10 twist. I have found that IMR-7828 worked very well with 180 grain Partitions. My extreme spread for 20 shots is under 20 feet per second and I can get 3300 fps real easy. In fact my loads I worked up in the winter were shot the other day on a record high temperature and they had picked up 40 feet per second. Not too bad but I'm not used to seeing 3350 on the chronograph with this load. During real hunting seasons is is always spot on at 3308 give or take a couple. My usual ES for a 10 shot string is less than 10 fps. RL-25 runs about the same burn rate but the ES numbers went way up.

Thanks Bill. That sounds exactly like my experience with H870 and 200's--it could easily beat Retumbo for velocity, but the loads were really compressed and accuracy sucked.

HPIM0709.jpg
Here is a 3 shot group at 100 yards using IMR-4831 88.0 grains, 150 grain sierra spitzer, All I had at the time going to try some of the loads you all listed

I am using h-1000 with a 210 berger. I am gettting 3220 avg and a es of 8 fps. Thats out of a 30 inch tube with temp in the 90's. It shots one jagged hole 5 shots(cover all the holes with a dime).

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.