Powder Choices for 300 RUM

Blueman

Hello All,
I'm putting together a new 300 RUM that I plan to shoot big pills out of hopefully it likes 230 bergers. With powders being so dang hard to find now days I'm wondering what everyone is using?
I'm down to less than a pound of retumbo...haven't seen any since maybe 2018
2 lbs H1000 similar its like finding sasquatch
I've got lots of N570 on hand fortunately
anyone tried Ramshot Magnum or LRT? I've got none, but is it worth buying and giving it a try? Any recommended loads?
Any other powders I should try to get my hands on?
Thanks,

You might reach out to Dallas Lane aka Elk Hunter 338 on this forum. He is a guru for the RUM. Just an idea.
I have, MANY times. I wanted (past tense) him to put the gun together for me. Honestly I thought he would jump for joy for my business, I guess not.

Last edited:
I have, MANY times. I wanted (past tense) him to put the gun together for me. Honestly the guy seems like an A-hole and kept blowing me off. I thought he would jump for joy for my business, I guess not.
OK. Sorry that was not a viable option for you and I hope my post and your response doesn't create a "rif" here. Good luck and I know there are others who are knowledgeable with this cartridge that will chime in.

N570 with 215/245 Bergers nand 178/181 Hammers is sweet. The Hammers would fair better with a little faster burning powder, but accuracy was good enough that I overlooked it.

N570 should work well.

No issues. I know N570 will work, but I'd like to keep that for my STW. I'd like to hear what everyone else is using. Obviously H-1000 and retumbo, but my lord is that stuff hard to come by....

No issues. I know N570 will work, but I'd like to keep that for my STW. I'd like to hear what everyone else is using. Obviously H-1000 and retumbo, but my lord is that stuff hard to come by....
Sign up here or updates. H1000 was in stock at Midsouth today as well as Midway. Midsouth's pricing is much better.

I put together a LRH parts build 300 Rum awhile back and it turned out great !
Anyway the barrel was only 25" and a Factory Remington Long Range . My Smith re chamberd it .
I put this together just to shoot a Milk Jug at a Mile ! It worked great!
Sorry so long in the tooth.

My load was with a 230 gr berger and Nv-570 @ 3036 ft.per.sec.

I'm working on another 300 Rum and the 245 gr bergers ..Nv570 and Rl-33 will be my first powders to try .

Rum Man

I have, MANY times. I wanted (past tense) him to put the gun together for me. Honestly the guy seems like an A-hole and kept blowing me off. I thought he would jump for joy for my business, I guess not.
NO KIDDIN HUH! A REAL A-HOLE I AM HUH!!!

REALLY NOT LIKE ME TO BLOW OFF A 300 RUM PROJECT BEINGS HOW ITS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITES!!

NO KIDDIN HUH! A REAL A-HOLE I AM HUH!!!

REALLY NOT LIKE ME TO BLOW OFF A 300 RUM PROJECT BEINGS HOW ITS ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITES!!
Not trying to start anything, I just don't appreciate being blown off, if you don't want my business just say that.

Is your contact info still [email protected] or 208-610-4442? Because it was 100% not for lack of trying on my behalf to get things moving.

I put together a LRH parts build 300 Rum awhile back and it turned out great !
Anyway the barrel was only 25" and a Factory Remington Long Range . My Smith re chamberd it .
I put this together just to shoot a Milk Jug at a Mile ! It worked great!
Sorry so long in the tooth.

My load was with a 230 gr berger and Nv-570 @ 3036 ft.per.sec.

I'm working on another 300 Rum and the 245 gr bergers ..Nv570 and Rl-33 will be my first powders to try .

Rum Man
Do you have any issues with RL 33 with temp instability?