300 RUM powder choice

REV

I live and hunt in the Austin Texas area. Read Its freaking hot when I hunt. Factory loads are showing signs of preasure at 80 deg plus so there are days I can't hunt nor shoot. I need a powder that will be relativly stable up to 90 degrees or so. The gun is a Remington Sendero 300 RUM that loves the 180 Swift Sciroccos(sp) from the factory but it seems a little on the hot side. any ideas?

97grs. H-1000
Berger 185 VLD @3400fps
Fed 215's
3.600 OACL

Works for me. Had great velocity and accuracy with RL-25, but the temps made it go way crazy on pressure.

FWIW, Have a good day Tim

I live in Dallas so I understand the heat issue. My 300 Ultra loves IMR 7828 and 200g Accubonds. I load 86g and am getting at 3200fps but please remember this is at max load so you should start a lot lower than that. I have tried all the powders mentioned and my best load for accuracy was the IMR.
Hope this helps

I shoot a 100gr of retumbo with a 180gr barnes XLC. I worked up to 100gr and thats where it ended up shooting the best. I shot the IMR and the H-1000 an couldn't make it shoot as well. I have the same gun BTW.

I'm at 109g of US869 with the 200g Accubond .010 from lands. About 3220fps MV. Go low and work up as usual. Stock 26" barrel.

I am going to try the retumbo with a 220 partition. What should I start out at 84 gr's?? The Nosler book is no help.

The problem I had with Retumbo in trying to get respectible numbers is that it will reach a plato and start falling off before you get there. Also very hard on streching primer pockets out. Had to throw all that brass away.

Tim

Forgive me for being blunt, but I keep seeing so many guys using Retumbo in the 300 ultra with 200 grain AB or 180 AB and I am wondering- why???? I have tried it and you just can't get enough of it in there to get any speed. Not to mention, if you're reloading for a Remington rifle and trying to make your cartridges short enough to fit in the mag, you take up so much case capacity with the back end of the bullet that your load density is in the area of 120% and within hours, your bullet is no longer seated where it was originally. I figure I had about 115% load density and went back and checked the loaded ammo ogive length about 5 hours later and it had grown .015" since being seated. In other words, the Retumbo was packed in there so tight that it pushed the bullet back out of the case and I had roughly .005" neck tension at that!

To my way of thinking, load RL25 or IMR7828ssc and you get more velocity and your bullets stay where you put them! Save that Retumbo for the 7ultra and 200 grain wildcat bullets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Huh? With Retumbo I'm way under 100% load density with the 200 AB (95 grains). There's a lot of room left as can be heard shaking loaded rounds. 3.60" OAL. I'll pop primers before I have any trouble getting enough in.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.