Post your .22LR target pics, please! šŸ˜

Yes, 22LR, no to all the other questions. I know absolutely nothing about 17 cal offerings, other than shooting beside a 17 one day, no clue what it was actually.
I have a Vudoo in a Foundation stock, same scope that can equal this on a calm day, or with slight L-R winds, but a right wind vapor locks the 16 tw barrel.

Curious, longest I shot the 22LR is 200 with 50 yard zero. How much elevation did you have to center up at 6? Sounds like fun.

Last edited:
Curious, fartest I shot the 22LR is 200 with 50 yard zero. How much elevation did you have to center up at 6? Sounds like fun.
It was 80 at 7 am this morning, so hot, today was around 32 mils up, 50 yard zero too, not certain in cooler weather. And it varies by temp and wind direction.
Avg velocities coming out of this barrel is 1127fps, so supersonic on most all days

As we all know, individual rifles do like specific ammunition. I was out at the local range this morning with a new rifle student (He is a NRA and USCCA certified pistol instructor) who had never done any rifle shooting, so we have been working at getting him all tuned up. Please don't take offense at this, but he is one of those know it all guys that thinks he knows best and really does not listen. We have been friends for a very long time so I don't believe that it's the typical macho guy doesn't want to take directions from a female thing, but he is somewhat bull headed. He asked for a recommendation for an accurate conventional rifle to buy, I gave him a few to think about, CZ, Tikka as well as some older Winchester and Remington's that would shoot sub zero groups as well as be affordable. So he goes out and buys the cheapest Ruger 10/22 that he can find, immediately upgrades to a MagPul stock, paints it camo and puts a 6moa red dot on it. (not exactly what one would call a target rifle.) Prior to him buying his own rifle, he had been shooting my Remington 513T with peep sights and Tikka T1x with a 4 x 12 scope on it. Since he is older he really liked the Tikka, but did OK with the Remington too, so I was in a bit of a quandary as to his choice of rifles as well as sights.
Last week after one can imagine the disaster shooting a 6moa red dot even at 50 yards as far as group size. He didn't seem to understand that a 6 moa red dot was not a target type sight on a rifle. I gave him a Redfield 3 x 9 x 40 scope and a set of 1 inch mounts which he begrudgingly did install on his 10/22. So this morning we met at the range when I got off work at 7 am, out on the range at 8 am when it was OK to shoot. I got there before him and had the targets set up and ready for us to shoot. I know I have mentioned the Tikka here before as well as how accurate it can be. I had been shooting Winchester Silvertips that were shooting 0.6 moa or less, much to the dismay of some 30+ groundhogs on a friends farm a couple of years ago. Unfortunately that lot of ammo ran out and the next batch did not shoot as well. Anyway been searching for some ammo that the rifle really likes and last week pulled a box of CCI Mini Mags out of the ammo cabinet. They were shooting sub moa, so I ordered some online since none of the local ammo sources had any in stock. I had received the ammo order yesterday so had it in hand when I went to the range. To be specific, I had a box of CCI sub sonic target ammo and another of CCI Mini Mags.

So this morning my student shows up with his 10/22, scope mounted and as he said, bore sighted, even though outside of looking through the barrel he had no boresighting equipment. (He would of course not let me, a person that has a pretty well equipped shop) to install the scope since he wanted to, "do it himself." He had bought some, let's just say inexpensive ammo, that by experience I knew would not shoot all that well. His first shots out of the rifle with the newly installed scope were about a foot low at 50 yards with g 6 inch group. Explained that at 50 yards it took 8 clicks to move the hits an inch at 50 yards. It pretty much fell on deaf ears as he had read that with this scope it took 4 clicks to move an inch. He continued to move the sights in 4 click increments and eventually got close to having all the shots within the scoring ring on the sighting in target. I told him to try different ammunition since the groups were about 6 inches at 50 yards and it had been my experience that the ammo he was using I had never found to be accurate enough. He switched to another brand that usually shot pretty well and lo and behold...the group size dropped to half of what it was with the original ammo he was shooting.

One of the most difficult things to do with a combat pistol shooter is to convince them that they needed to adjust their sights. Actually it was a relatively foreign idea to them since the sights on combat or defensive pistols are virtually all fixed and non adjustable. The concept that some ammo shot better than others was a bit confusing to them since at 7 to 30 feet where they usually shot, it didn't make much difference. So anyway after two hours on the range I finally got him sighted to the point where the group was that shown in the Rigid sighting in target attached. I wanted him to move the sights to the right 8 clicks and his response was, "It's pretty good the way it is now. It's probably just me. Trying to explain the concept of moving the sights when you have a group was not making any sense to him. So at that point I decided to shoot the Tikka and explain how to select ammo and adjust the sights. I started out at 50 yards with the sub sonic ammo, which the rifle seemed to be indifferent to. Switched over to the CCI Mini mags and BINGO, had ammo that the rifle liked. We moved from the 50 yard to the 100 yard range and I continued to zero in the rifle with the new Mini Mags and shot the attached target. Group measured 0.738 edge to edge mostly due to the two shots in the upper left corner that wandered away from the other 3. I was a bit sloppy, but all of them would have shot off a squirrels head. It can, but doesn't usually get better than that.

Attachments

• 1b1.jpeg
    1b1.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 53
  • tikka t1x.jpg
    tikka t1x.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 61
Had a couple more tries at 600 yards.

24" backer, 12" circle, pretty stiff winds from the right, I was actually pleased with the outcome that evening.
600 wind.jpg

One-night last week, tried again in a stiff wind from around the 10 o'clock direction, 18" backer, 8" circle. My ego overrode any common sense in my target size selection. There were 2 hits on the circle that were intended, the rest were incidental hits trying to figure out just what side of the target the bullet was going to land. I pulled the plug rather quickly here.
What was funny that night, I had set some knockdowns up at 250, 300, and 400 and had no problems cleaning them up. 200 yards farther out was a waste of ammo.
600 serious wind.jpg

Here are some 10 rd 300 yard groups while testing ammo. Not sure if lube in the barrel sets up while I load mags, or if I have a fundamentals issue, but the first shot is always high. For reference, dot size is just under 3/4". 3 different lots of ammo. Pretty sure if I set myself up and stopped at 5 shots, some would be tighter.
I need a target camera, I get to pulling the trigger and lose track of where hits land.
I have 2 rifles I don't shoot inside of 250 yards, so no 50 or 100 yard groups.

Attachments

• 300 RWS2.jpg
    300 RWS2.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 300 RWS1.jpg
    300 RWS1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 300 RWS.jpg
    300 RWS.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 42
Here are some 10 rd 300 yard groups while testing ammo. Not sure if lube in the barrel sets up while I load mags, or if I have a fundamentals issue, but the first shot is always high. For reference, dot size is just under 3/4". 3 different lots of ammo. Pretty sure if I set myself up and stopped at 5 shots, some would be tighter.
I need a target camera, I get to pulling the trigger and lose track of where hits land.
Just curious but are these 100 yard zeros?

50 yards, I am running a ZCO 527, 40 moa base, with ARC mount with another 30 moa built in, I can dial close to 35 mils up, not much left on the bottom. A 100 yard zero may actually be wiser.
I can dial to 600 here at 4700 feet ASL, except in 40 deg and under temps.

Last edited:
I have been shooting paint cans at 700 yards, one time a 10 rd fail, next time a hit in 10 rds. Last time I tried, set 3 cans, 1 hit around 25 rds, next was last rd of my 6th 10 rd mag. I pulled the plug.
I power down to 15 power so I can grab an 8 mil holdover, and can hit 18 & 24" steel, but I can't pick up my hits on the steel, so I never really know what is going on. If alone, I'm not setting up a spotting scope.
700 yards is too far for my equipment, but there are days my inner tard kicks in and it is game on.

Well from the distances you mentioned, you are probably not shooting a .22 long rifle. Good shooting anyway. Here are some pictures I took after doing some experiments at 100 yards shooting both SK and Ely High velocity to check how small a group my Tikka T1x would shoot. The targets used were load development targets, shot at 100 yards. The squares on the targets are 1/4 inch or 1/4 MOA. All of the targets had 5 shots, with a few doubles with only 4 hits showing.

Attachments

• image6.jpeg
    image6.jpeg
    62.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 47
Well from the distances you mentioned, you are probably not shooting a .22 long rifle. Good shooting anyway. Here are some pictures I took after doing some experiments at 100 yards shooting both SK and Ely High velocity to check how small a group my Tikka T1x would shoot. The targets used were load development targets, shot at 100 yards. The squares on the targets are 1/4 inch or 1/4 MOA. All of the targets had 5 shots, with a few doubles with only 4 hits showing.
Refer you to post 126

Recent Posts