Target Scope for a 22lr.

CDS123

I'm buying my first 22lr and am confused on what I need as far as a scope, and could use some guidance from those more experienced. There's only a few things I'd like to do with this rifle.

1. Learn to shoot accurately from a few field positions.
2. Learn how to estimate wind for different ranges.
3. Learn how to estimate range and bullet drop.
4. Adjust a scope to accommodate wind and bullet drop.

The rifle I'm looking to put it on is a Savage Mark II BV. From reports, this gun will be able to out shoot me for a very long time.

With a little reading on the internet, it looks like I want something 3-9 zoom, with target turrets, that is repeatable in terms of wind and elevation adjustment, and an adjustable objective. Is this a good match for my needs? If so, could I get a few suggestions on scopes that are a good value and meet my criteria?

There is a 100 yrd underground rifle range a few blocks from my house, so I believe I'll be able to get some practice in this winter.

Any tips are appreciated!
Thanks,

there are a bunch of options out there, and as mentioned above mueller is a great scope at a great price.

if price isn't an issue, the choices seem endless. if on a budget there are still many options available. for a scope that offers pretty good clarity, magnification, turrets, and other usable features the centerpoint 4-16x adventure class scope (sold at walmart for around $69.00) is a great buy.

besides price, another thing to consider is the reticle. for a dedicated target rifle, i like the finest crosshairs and target dot in the center. but for "educating" myself when it comes to rangefinding, any holdover, etc. i prefer the mildot reticle.

probably the biggest factor is clarity, you like to see what you are shooting at. 3-9x are ok, but for targets ranging from 50 to 200 yards, i prefer 4-16, 6-18x or 6-24x variable scopes as they are more "flexible" for all those different ranges, different sized targets, and easier to spot your hits.

one thing that i have found through the years (and i am cheap) is to buy a good clear, reputable, dependable optic up front. there are many for around $300.00 or under (including millet, burris, super sniper, vortex, mueller, nikon buckmaster series, and others) that offer great glass and options that will last. i've learned it's better to cry once in the beginning, than to cry twice later.

definately do your homework, compare options, price, reticles, etc. and see how it will fit your style of shooting and budget.

asking the topic "what scope" is tough as many suggestions will be based on personal preference than actual facts, so make sure you weigh the pros and cons of the scopes that'll fit your needs, narrow your choices down to 2 or 3, then pick the one that has it all (or most of it all) that you need or want.

if you want to learn more about the wind, it will be to your advantage to pick up a wind meter and run your ammo through a ballistic calculator so you can get a rough idea of what you need to do to adjust - then apply that in real conditions and note it in a data book for future reference. a data book with the ballistics of your ammo will help you out with the bullet drop stuff also.

The Weaver fixed power target scopes seem to be the #1 choice as far as competition rifles go.

If you intend to use it for hunting as well, a variable power scope is a better option. Weaver Classic V would be good. Made in Japan, can't find better for the price. I put a Burris 4.5-14X32 Timberline of my CZ 452. It has AO and Ballistic Plex aiming points. Lot faster than clicking turrets while hunting.

The Weaver 40/44 line has some aspherical scopes for insanely low prices, and they are Japanese built. If you want a crisp image, look at them. The penalty is that they weigh a bit more than nonasperical lensed scopes.

The Burris Timberline scopes are correctly sized for rimfire rifles, but only the one I bought has AO, which I consider an absolute must on rimfire and airgun scopes. Parallax at rimfire hunting ranges is a big deal with big game scopes corrected at 100 yards.

Make sure you take a laser rangefinder and determine if your scope parallax setting match your rangefinder settings at various distances. The Chinese scopes almost never do. My Japanese Weaver and Burris Timberline are exactly on the money.

I would avoid Chinese scopes if possible. Will be buying no more of them, and I have owned a few.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.