22LR Trainer scope options. Suggestions.

I'm looking for opinions on a budget scope for a 22LR Trainer to teach my son marksmanship with. It will also double as a squirrel rifle.
Take a look at the Mueller line of scopes. My wife and I both run their target 8-32x44's on our Savage .22 rifles and we love them. 👍
IMG_0849.jpegIMG_0848.jpegIMG_1063.jpeg

Inadvertently I ended up with a Hi-Lux 1-4x XTC Scope on my Compass Lake Service Rifle Trainer. The price on sale can be had for $375. The picture below is something I grabbed off the Internet. I'm using a 3" offset, ADM AD-RECON-X scope mount. The 25MOA per turn on the scope helps when going out to 200yds with a Rimfire cartridge, but it will focus in close when I'm working at 25 - 50 yds.

Attachments

• hilux_scopeongun.jpg
    hilux_scopeongun.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 53
So I just came across the Athelon Neos 4-12x40. Anyone have any experience with those?
Yes, I put those on the boy's PCP air rifles. One was the 22lr and one the version for 223 (bdc 500 or something like that). They are working great, clear glass, focuses to 10 yards, the 22lr one has really fat crosshairs, I like the 223 one better, finer crosshairs and some windage holds on the main horizontal line. It would be very good for a beginner with that Savage. 47342278-660F-4E02-9F7C-F658F76308C0.jpeg

Look into the Blackhound scopes. They run sales and get great reviews on YouTube. I have one on my Daystate Tsar FT PCP rifle and so far I am happy with it.

Sightron STAC 3-16X42 MOA3 reticle

Somewhat under $400 - I got 2 @ $250 each - shop around
Focus/parallax to 10 yards
Very good .25MOA click tracking
2nd focal plane scope - reticle shows 2 MOA per graduation & nice .25 MOA dot at 16X - good for reticle use training at various ranges up to 200 yards.
Center dot is a nice .25 MOA - useful for size comparisons at various ranges.
Good tough rimfire/center fire scope.
Good glass, sun shade available, side focus, capped adjustments.
30mm tube but relatively short scope with 42 mm objective but has long mounting surfaces on tube.
.IMG_1799.JPG

Mounted on a 6.5 CM, Ruger MKII. Small compact size would be a good fit for many .22LR rifles. Crank it down to 3X for close range squirrels. Up to 16X to spot .22 holes in paper - easy at 100 & probably at 200.

Last edited:
Yes, I put those on the boy's PCP air rifles. One was the 22lr and one the version for 223 (bdc 500 or something like that). They are working great, clear glass, focuses to 10 yards, the 22lr one has really fat crosshairs, I like the 223 one better, finer crosshairs and some windage holds on the main horizontal line. It would be very good for a beginner with that Savage. View attachment 463014
Do you have the reticle with 22 holdover dots on the reticle?

Yes, but that reticle is very thick lines and larger dots, I like the other one better.
So this is what I ended up going with on my boys rifle. I do agree that the reticle lines are a little thicker than the average scope but isn't too bad. I have seen scopes with way fatter, useless reticles. If I were trying to shoot tiny groups at long range this reticle thickness would be a slight hinderance but for squirrel hunting out to 100 yards it will be fine. And I think it will be ok for shooting steel with. I will say the glass is even more clear than I expected. I am super happy with the clarity. Turrets have a very positive click and seem to dial very precisely and accurately. The focus/parallax knob works very well and is very accurate. This scope has truly shown me what the rifle is capable of and it's going to be a squirrel killer. My ONLY gripe so far about the scope is when I reset the turret caps to zero they do not line up on zero. Both the elevation and the windage turrets line up almost in the middle of hash marks. While that bugs me a lot I can live with it for all the other good points of the scope. All in all just on first impressions of shooting it the last 3 days I would absolutely buy it again.