Youth LR trainer

ShootnMathews

So I'm wanting to start training my boy to shoot Long range and teach him how to dial and hold over. I am thinking of picking up this Savage and putting a 10x Bushnell Elite mil/mil that I have here on it. Thoughts??
82B7D55C-BB48-41D1-AA00-2254E1AC26DF.png

Would you consider a Ruger Precision Rimfire? They can be had for under $500. The adjustable cheek piece and stock make it easy to setup to get a good sight picture. I have one for my daughter and it shoots really well. We will shot it to +300 yards. It is fun to watch the bullet make a massive arc to the target through the scope.

Would you consider a Ruger Precision Rimfire? They can be had for under $500. The adjustable cheek piece and stock make it easy to setup to get a good sight picture. I have one for my daughter and it shoots really well. We will shot it to +300 yards. It is fun to watch the bullet make a massive arc to the target through the scope.
I did look at those but the ones I saw were 600 + change. So the savage is about half the price. I do like the adjustability of the ruger. Maybe I'll just spend the extra and get it. Idk

I couldn't sell my fv Sr fast enough. The stock has way too much drop for using a scope, the scope base holes all stripped out at 10 in lbs, and the magazine created jams like crazy. The cricket I got my kids has been somewhat better, but next 22 will be a Tikka or cz.

I couldn't sell my fv Sr fast enough. The stock has way too much drop for using a scope, the scope base holes all stripped out at 10 in lbs, and the magazine created jams like crazy. The cricket I got my kids has been somewhat better, but next 22 will be a Tikka or cz.
Did savage make any attempt to make it right?

Get an SWFA the Bushnell doesn't have a parallax adjustment method. Also the swfa is known to have excellent tracking. 200ish on sale 180ish samplelist on sale.I have a 10 and a 20 for my 22lr's. In the wind 200yds is very humbling. Knowing that the scope is rock solid he will be able learn how wind has a vertical element depending on the direction that will show itself well.
Guns hmmmm CZ457 the Ruger can be made to have a short action length bolt throw. A 10/22 green mountain barrel with a Bentz chamber will be competition worthy and fun.
There are also some used guns around Rem 514T Win 52D Mossberg 44US I'm a Marlin guy myself I have a model 60 in the truck and a 2000 with the Biathlon kit locked away. Built a 10/22 like above and shoot a 52D semi regularly.
A good 22 will last a lifetime so choose one worthy

Get an SWFA the Bushnell doesn't have a parallax adjustment method. Also the swfa is known to have excellent tracking. 200ish on sale 180ish samplelist on sale.I have a 10 and a 20 for my 22lr's. In the wind 200yds is very humbling. Knowing that the scope is rock solid he will be able learn how wind has a vertical element depending on the direction that will show itself well.
Guns hmmmm CZ457 the Ruger can be made to have a short action length bolt throw. A 10/22 green mountain barrel with a Bentz chamber will be competition worthy and fun.
There are also some used guns around Rem 514T Win 52D Mossberg 44US I'm a Marlin guy myself I have a model 60 in the truck and a 2000 with the Biathlon kit locked away. Built a 10/22 like above and shoot a 52D semi regularly.
A good 22 will last a lifetime so choose one worthy
Yeah I have several 22's around. Mostly single shots and semi autos. Most are heirlooms passed down through the generations. The only scopes ones are the semi autos and I want to teach him with a bolt action so in a couple years the transition to some bottle neck case LR rifle feels natural. And the bolt action will help him slow down. I also love the SWFA scopes. I have a few. They are the best budget scope money can buy. Hands down.

Curious, but how old is he? If he is older then might be better choices than what you're looking at. Just a thought.
He's 10. I have lots of other rifles. But I'm looking for a cheap way to train him on the fundamentals of dialing and hold over. I can do that with a 22LR basically in the yard instead of having to go somewhere to shoot long range with something higher power. I already have a 243, 7mm-08, 308 and some other guns that he can use whenever he is ready.