22LR Trainer scope options. Suggestions.

I'm looking for opinions on a budget scope for a 22LR Trainer to teach my son marksmanship with. It will also double as a squirrel rifle.

Requirements are :
It must dial repeatable and accurately
It must focus/parallax adjust to 10 yards
It must hold zero of course on a rimfire
Must be under $300

My current #1 draft pick is a SWFA 6x42 which are on sale right now for $209 but out of stock. I am open to other options though and want to see what's out there. So let's hear it.

My goal or the scope is to put on a Savage 22LR and teach my boy how to adjust for parallax, dial for distance, read wind and adjust for it. And shoot some squirrels. Which is why I need it to adjust down to 10 yards. Most of the squirrels I shoot around here are only20 yards or less.

Here is the rifle. I threw a cheap BSA that I had laying around in it but found out today as you adjust the focus bell the point of impact shifts. So that's junk. Thanks for the help gang View attachment 462306
Check out the Hawke rimfire scopes

You may consider a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 with first focal plane and mil. It retails for ~$400 but with the FFP and mil, he can learn to range using the scope quite easily and easily see wind holds when doing holdover. This is what I use on my 10/22 at 22PRS matches.

I'm looking for opinions on a budget scope for a 22LR Trainer to teach my son marksmanship with. It will also double as a squirrel rifle.

Requirements are :
It must dial repeatable and accurately
It must focus/parallax adjust to 10 yards
It must hold zero of course on a rimfire
Must be under $300

My current #1 draft pick is a SWFA 6x42 which are on sale right now for $209 but out of stock. I am open to other options though and want to see what's out there. So let's hear it.

My goal or the scope is to put on a Savage 22LR and teach my boy how to adjust for parallax, dial for distance, read wind and adjust for it. And shoot some squirrels. Which is why I need it to adjust down to 10 yards. Most of the squirrels I shoot around here are only20 yards or less.

Here is the rifle. I threw a cheap BSA that I had laying around in it but found out today as you adjust the focus bell the point of impact shifts. So that's junk. Thanks for the help gang View attachment 462306
Athlon makes a great 22lr scope and list is 212.00 so you could get one for less. Great optics

All recommendations I have read here has merit, only thing I would offer is I would hold off on having a young new shooter practice out to 250 yds with a 22 LR. That would be a waste of ammunition in my opinion, also 22 LR ammunition capable of shooting accurately at yds would be very expensive. I would practice 10 to 100 yds.

Go with the competition peep sight rather than a scope and train at 50 feet with a standard 10 shot target for competition. When you start getting scores in the 95+ range you are good to go. Once you have reached that gold you are good to go with a scope.

I mounted this Bushnell Prime 3.5x10x36mm on my 10/22 for the summer silhouette matches. May have to change the rings out later, but that was all I in the cabinet. It has holdover dots out to 125 yards and parallax adjustment down to 10 yards. Pretty decent glass for a scope that was under $100. Also comes with additional turret rings for more refined shooting techniques. I intend play with those later. The dots are set up for high velocity 22 rounds so you may need to check for your ammo. Also you need to use the full 10x for best accuracy with the holdover dots. The scope is compact enough that it does not overwhelm the rifle. I am not sure that this model is still in production, but you can shop around. The point is that you can find pretty decent, budget friendly scopes to put on a training rifle or first hunting rifle.

Bushnell 3.jpgBushnell 1.jpg

I mounted this Bushnell Prime 3.5x10x36mm on my 10/22 for the summer silhouette matches. May have to change the rings out later, but that was all I in the cabinet. It has holdover dots out to 125 yards and parallax adjustment down to 10 yards. Pretty decent glass for a scope that was under $100. Also comes with additional turret rings for more refined shooting techniques. I intend play with those later. The dots are set up for high velocity 22 rounds so you may need to check for your ammo. Also you need to use the full 10x for best accuracy with the holdover dots. The scope is compact enough that it does not overwhelm the rifle. I am not sure that this model is still in production, but you can shop around. The point is that you can find pretty decent, budget friendly scopes to put on a training rifle or first hunting rifle.

View attachment 463849View attachment 463850
Thank you. That looks like a great option. I ended up getting the Athlon version of that Bushnell I guess. It does parallax down to 10 yards and you zero it at 50. It has a dot for 75 & 100 and then at 125 you use where the thin reticle meets the thicker part. So far I'm very happy with this scope. It was $169 and the glass is very clear. 4-12x40. Turrets dial very well on it.

I just ordered a Bushnell AR73940 scope to put on a 22lr for the 10 yard parallax and adjustable turrets. It has a 223 BDC reticle and just for fun I may find what yardages match to it just for quick acquirements. It's a 3-9x40 wouldn't want anymore power than 3 for the close work. I have a straight 6 power on another 22 and it's hard finding your target at close range quickly.
Don't know how reliable and repeatable the turrets are yet but for the money spent on it won't be out much if it doesn't work out.
I wouldn't buy him a scope with a BDC reticle because it defeats the desire to teach his son elevation adjustment for differing distances.

All recommendations I have read here has merit, only thing I would offer is I would hold off on having a young new shooter practice out to 250 yds with a 22 LR. That would be a waste of ammunition in my opinion, also 22 LR ammunition capable of shooting accurately at yds would be very expensive. I would practice 10 to 100 yds.
It can be done and for a decent price. I practice with Federal auto match which is around $22 for 333rds. I shoot an 8in plate at 250 yards alot and even stretch it out to 455 yards. I rarely miss at 250 and at 455 7 out of 10 usually on target. You just need to know your dial up. For me 455 is 27.1 mils of elevation with my ruger precision rimfire. This is awesome training for all shooting. It also teaches alot about reading the wind.