Youth LR trainer

He's 10. I have lots of other rifles. But I'm looking for a cheap way to train him on the fundamentals of dialing and hold over. I can do that with a 22LR basically in the yard instead of having to go somewhere to shoot long range with something higher power. I already have a 243, 7mm-08, 308 and some other guns that he can use whenever he is ready.
Great idea. In that case what you have in mind will work perfectly. Good luck and teach him well.

Well here's what I ended up going with. For a couple reasons. I looked at the CZ, the B22, the MarkII Minimalist, and the FV-SR that I went to see was sold out. The CZ and B22 were a little more than I wanted to spend but still doable. Both the CZ and the B22 were fairly heavy. Which I expected for a heavy barrel but it makes it harder for him to handle because he is quite small even for a 10 year old. Also his favorite color is Green. So when I saw this Mark II Minimalist with the lighter barrel and Green stock it kind of fit him better. It is threaded for a shhh-can also which is nice. It was only $359 which was near half the price of the CZ and the B22. So I brought it home. I tried a couple scopes on it but ended up going with this cheapo BSA that I had on a pellet rifle because it focuses/parallax adjust all the way down to 7 yards and is a 2-7x. I tried a few types of ammo in it after lining it up at 50 yards. Keep in mind none of it was match ammo. It was all cheap stuff off the shelf. Most ammo shot around 1" to 1.5" but it really likes the CCI Stingers. CCI Target was second with around 1" or so. The stingers I had one flyer which I don't believe was me but who knows. I almost expect flyers with 22LR ammo and I usually look at the accuracy of the majority. The other 4 went into about 1/2" or maybe less. Pic is the Stinger group. Thank you to everyone who commented to help he loves this rifle already and is shooting it great. The accutrigger is fantastic with a light pull and a very crisp break. The weight of it he can handle well and it's pretty darn accurate. Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

My original plan was to get the FV-SR because it was accurate and threaded and put a Boyd's stock on it. Well I found out that Boyd's makes these stocks for savage for these rifles. So really all I gave up was the heavier barrel and the bigger bolt knob with this rifle but I saved the cost of buying the stock separate.
C02AF833-03A7-49CE-AE44-8721D09A129F.jpeg
5399B5DD-51C6-407D-B4CD-58017299844C.jpeg
D530D3D3-5683-45F0-894A-4D6F85761CD4.jpeg

Last edited:
So curiosity got me and I measured this CCI stinger group. Counting the flyer it is 1.2" and measuring the 4 it is 0.41". I also ranged it to get an exact distance and it was 48.7 yards.
1FDF1CDF-8B2F-4EEB-BD50-3B25305F0B2E.jpeg
O

I went with Howa Mini action rifles for my kids. I have one in 222 Rem and the other is 6.5 Grendel. My 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter dial the scope and moves from 400yrds to 500yrds and 600yrds. Its a kick in the pants to watch, you should see the looks they get from other range patrons. These rifles can be had for $500, the only downside I see is loading ammo for them to shoot adds to my work load. I need to teach them how to reload...

I went with Howa Mini action rifles for my kids. I have one in 222 Rem and the other is 6.5 Grendel. My 9 year old son and 11 year old daughter dial the scope and moves from 400yrds to 500yrds and 600yrds. Its a kick in the pants to watch, you should see the looks they get from other range patrons. These rifles can be had for $500, the only downside I see is loading ammo for them to shoot adds to my work load. I need to teach them how to reload...
The loading is another reason I went 22LR. I've been looking for months and months here for primers with no luck.