possible 300rum to 338rum build

clemens

If one was to get .300um and rebarell to 338um does the .300rum have enough room in action/mag to load 300gr bullets or is both mag/actions same size? Also does anyone know if any after market or factory wood stocks fit the sendero or xcr or can be made to fit?

The 300 RUM has an overall case length that is longer than the 338 rum. (2.85 for the 300. and
2.760 for the 338) giving you .090 more room for the 300 grain bullet to fit in the Magazine. (Both cartridges use the same action)

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/300 Remington Ultra Magnum.pdf

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/338 Remington Ultra Magnum.pdf

So with the 300 grain bullet you will have extra mag length with the 338 rum and the chamber can still be a SAMME chamber for best performance.

The 338 RUM performs really well with 250 grain bullets so you might want to look at them also.

Fortunately there are lots of wood stocks for the 700 Rem with varmint forearms and Sendero barrel channels.

J E CUSTOM

So Jerry.....If you wanted a 338RUM and wanted the ability to shoot long heavy bullets or at least lots of flexablilty....would it be best to find a factory chambered 338RUM or buy a 300RUM and ream it to a 338RUM? How about factory twist with REM 700 RUMS

338RUM Senderos seem to be unicorns but you can still by new 300RUM.

jjw
ND

So Jerry.....If you wanted a 338RUM and wanted the ability to shoot long heavy bullets or at least lots of flexablilty....would it be best to find a factory chambered 338RUM or buy a 300RUM and ream it to a 338RUM? How about factory twist with REM 700 RUMS

jjw
ND

You can't ream a 300 RUM to a 338 RUM. You would have to re-barrel it. If you are going to re-barrel, it doesn't matter which one you start with.

This is for my step father in law. He want the .338 but is real picky on wood stock. So was just looking for options to get him in that direction. Told him he could get onebin a synthetic then find a wood stock but I get the deer in spot light look then plays the I will get it cheaper. (Insert hysterical laughing on my part here) but I have found good deals but I can only do so much to get him to jump. Thanks for the replys helps me with options.

jjw
ND

Any RUM based rifle will be a very simple change to the 338 RUM by simply changing the barrel to a .338 dia. and chambering it. If you find one with the stock you want it is easier, just go with the same barrel contour.

J E CUSTOM

This is for my step father in law. He want the .338 but is real picky on wood stock. So was just looking for options to get him in that direction. Told him he could get onebin a synthetic then find a wood stock but I get the deer in spot light look then plays the I will get it cheaper. (Insert hysterical laughing on my part here) but I have found good deals but I can only do so much to get him to jump. Thanks for the replys helps me with options.
When you've done all you feel like doing, just let it go. He wants something that doesn't exist without paying for it. Never heard of a "Sendero" with a wood stock. Most if not all of the old wood stocked Varmint Masters were SA rifles (.222, .223, .22/250, .243) and I've not met anyone willing to give up their original Varmint Master stock. You might get a repro wood/lami from someone like Boyds, but if he's "picky" about his wood stocks one from there might not meet his standards. Besides, it'd take some extra work, like glass bedding and it may not "drop-in" to begin with. Again, that'd be extra, and he thinks he should be able to get it 'cheaper'. I've said it before and I'll say it again, "participating in the shooting sports isn't a cheap hobby!". Now, for kicks, price changing barrels from .300UM to .338UM. None of this happens 'cheaper'. Please forgive my bluntness on the subject.

I knew there was no senderos out there with wood of any kind. Don't think he has problem with laminated but he might I figure to let him stew over it. And if he don't find anything oh well. I tried. :rolleyes:

I used to deal directly through Remington for parts & stocks. There was one guy I'd hear from about once a year. He needed a butt stock for a 1100 in 28 gauge. The first and second time he asked me if I could get one of those I replied that I could. Then he'd come back with "I want an old style one,,,,, with the diamond in the grip cap. Can you get me one of those?". Well, I couldn't, of course . If I'd have ordered one from Remington it'd been 'new' production. The next time I saw that same guy coming and he asked the same, all over again, I just flat told him "no,,, I can't get those at all". If he had a 28g. 1100 with a broken or unusable butt stock which made the shotgun unusable and he needed to have a 'special' butt stock to replace his broken/unusable one, he'd just have to do without. Some will 'jerk your chain' just to be jerkin' it!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.