300win to 338rum, Lapua

?,
I wanted to know if it is possible to go from a 300win to on of the 338s just by switching barrels. Do I need to have a Gunsmith do it?

A simple rebarrel job is all that's required to go fromm 300 Win. to 338 Win. The 338 Rum would require extensive work to the action, asuminng your action would handle it.
Yes, a gunsmith is required

?,
I wanted to know if it is possible to go from a 300win to on of the 338s just by switching barrels. Do I need to have a Gunsmith do it?

No gunsmith is required if you're building on a Savage. You could build up to a 338 edge. The case head on the Lapua is too large for a Savage.

You would just need a barrel, action wrench, barrel nut wrench, and a go-gauge. You would have to shoot it single shot without machining for a larger mag well.

It would be just as simple to go back to the .300 win as well.

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I have a lot to learn about rifle mechanics. I was thinking of getting a Stevens or Savage as suggested in the " Long Rang Rifle On A Budget" article on this site. I would like to do all the work myself to learn more, rather than to have it all done, but will if needed. How a bout a 300rum from a 300win.

Last edited:
With the Savage/Stevens it is as simple as a barrel swap. Almost as easy as changing your oil.

Check out savage shooters. There is a ton of information there.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.