Possible Build off a Stevens 200. Suggestions?

mwkelso

A couple of questions here:

1. I'm under the impression that the Stevens 200 is built on a Savage 110 action. Is this true?

2. The rifle is currently chambered in .270. I already have a .270 and am in no need for another. What would you build this action in to given the opportunity? I would use it for trigger time that won't wear on my hunting barrels, and the occasional varmint hunt.

The rifle in question has been sitting on a shelf for sale quite some time now... Seller is asking $225, I have a pretty good feeling he'll let it go for $175.

If it's just for trigger time and no big game long range hunting, stay with the 270, components are in expensive. I use a Speer 90 gold dot with h4895 to reduce a hunting load for my 9 year old. It's a much cheaper alternative than rebuilding a rifle. If your looking for something long range an eldx or Berger would fit the bill which you can find in factory ammo. Best wishes

Btw you can run those 90 grainers around 3400 if you wish for varmints/deer.

Last edited:
If it's just for trigger time and no big game long range hunting, stay with the 270, components are in expensive. I use a Speer 90 gold dot with h4895 to reduce a hunting load for my 9 year old. It's a much cheaper alternative than rebuilding a rifle. If your looking for something long range an eldx or Berger would fit the bill which you can find in factory ammo. Best wishes

Btw you can run those 90 grainers around 3400 if you wish for varmints/deer.
That's a good point. I was looking at the speed of a 25-06, but it looks like I could get very close to the same performance out of this with a hot load and light bullet.

The Stevens 200 is just a Savage 110. I would personally build either a 6.5x284 Norma or .284 Win Match on that action.
They are usually very accurate, or can be made to be pretty inexpensive. Like Jud96 suggested as the action length would benefit either. Sounds like you could buy it real reasonable, price is worth the action alone.

Stevens 200 is just a long action Savage. I have built off a bunch of them and keep an eye out for donor rifles like the one you have found. $200 and under is my usual price point on basic actions. More if accutrigger is on it.
I have built several with short cartridges on long action. .308, .22-250, .243, etc.
so you also can go short. Bucket list is a .358 Winchester.

Stevens 200 is just a long action Savage. I have built off a bunch of them and keep an eye out for donor rifles like the one you have found. $200 and under is my usual price point on basic actions. More if accutrigger is on it.
I have built several with short cartridges on long action. .308, .22-250, .243, etc.
so you also can go short. Bucket list is a .358 Winchester.
That's good to know. I'm very green to custom builds and was thinking that longs had to stay with longs and shorts had to stay with shorts. Having access to the short action cartridges just opened a lot more options!

I was told it would not work. I had a .30-06 long action. Stuffed the blind magazine with .308Win and cycled them with the bolt. Whattayaknow, they fed slick as snot. Been building them ever since.
MidwayUSA has some good reference material on Savages in their website. Comes in handy. Good luck, be safe, have fun, share the knowledge!

That's good to know. I'm very green to custom builds and was thinking that longs had to stay with longs and shorts had to stay with shorts. Having access to the short action cartridges just opened a lot more options!

Depends on the chambering, and bullet- there can be feeding issues from the mag with some SA cartridges in a LA.
Sometimes no, sometimes a simple tweaking of the feed lips, sometimes major work.

If that doesn't matter for a "trigger time" stick, you can always single-feed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.