Portable Shooting Bench

jstein

First time poster, so my apologies if this doesn't go well.

Attached is a starting point for making your own portable shooting bench. Cost is roughly $100 in materials. A few hours to build, and a couple days to apply the finish. I benefitted from a few others who have posted their home-made benches online, so I thought I'd pay that forward. It works, not as solid as a permanent bench, but very convenient, and stable enough for sighting-in a hunting rifle.

Good luck.
js

Attachments

• Portable Shooting Bench.pdf
    78 KB · Views: 48
  • Portable Rifle Bench Images.pdf
    293.1 KB · Views: 54
Shot off the portable bench this past weekend. Worked great. If anyone is interested, here's a couple more photos of the set-up.

Attachments

• IMG_9777.JPG
    IMG_9777.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_9775.JPG
    IMG_9775.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9780.JPG
    IMG_9780.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 61
I have been thinking of something along the lines similar but made from
aluminum. Also if possible having 3 legs instead of 4 or coming up with something where the rear legs would be mostly out of the way for a right hand shooter. I know it will cost a lot more but I think it would be light as the wood and may be a lot more sturdy. Hoping to figure out a way the legs could be removed and stored away when carrying from place to place also. I have a friend down the street that is a certified welder. He told me he could use his spool gun for something like this. He told me some day when funds permit he will buy his own tig machine.

that's a nice bench , looks great .

Wachsmann , here are pics of a 3 leg bench I built a few years ago . it might give you some ideas . I ended up not being able to cut nice wooden angles for the legs . I had a fella cut these for me . since I have built it, I have thought I could have used threaded pipe connectors , cut them at the desired angle , welded them to a plate , bolted the plate to the wooden bench . I guess I just got thought locked at the time . Jim

I think this link will go to a slide show of all my shooting bench pictures .

Shooting Bench Slideshow by jimmyboy16866 | Photobucket

Jim, kinda scary how similar my portable bench looks to yours. Great minds and all. I was able to use scrap counter top I had for the top layer, particle board for the bottom layer, and mine is a little bigger but everything else is about the same. I unscrew the legs for storage and transport. It's a little heavy but that's what I wanted.

I don't have pictures of mine on my computer but mine is made out of 1" square aluminum with 4 permanent legs. The top is 5/8 plywood and it only weighs about 30lbs. I turned and threaded some inserts that go in the bottom of the legs to make them adjustable since I shoot in the desert around here and the ground is far from level. I'm sure I could make the legs fold up like a table if I wanted to but mine gets transported in the back of my truck so it's kind of unnecessary.

Jstein.

really like the shooting bench, thanks for posting, gonna make one this winter. should be good for shooting my crossbow off the porch too! One question? The barrel notches, what are they for?

Thanks,
Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.