Portable Shooting Bench

Desert Fox

Here's the ultimate in shooting bench portability. Designed and field tested up to 600 yards by yours truely. The leg is adjustable for uneven grounds and don't take much room for storage. No patent applied or pending, so everyone is welcome to make their own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. You can find all the materials needed at your local Home Depot or Lowe's. I got burned on my last post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif, so disclaimer is in order. I'm not responsible for any unsatisfactory result of your build /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Any deviation on the design or the intended use of the bench is solely the users responsibility /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Picture040.jpg

Picture041.jpg

Picture044.jpg

How much does that cost to build?

Can you give us the details about how to build it? Would like to make a few for an up coming PD trip?

Does anyone know what kid of "legs" those are? And perhaps what the purpose of that block of wood with the bolts through it is?

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what kid of "legs" those are?

[/ QUOTE ]
It appears to be a portable saw horse available at any home improvement center.

[ QUOTE ]
what the purpose of that block of wood with the bolts through it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea.

They look like legs inspired by crutches to me. My guess is they are independantly adjustable and can hold some weight too.

[ QUOTE ]
Found them at homedepot.com. Crawford portable sawhorses. $19.99 online. Rest looks like plywood. Great idea thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's it. Just cut some half-inch plywood and bolt them on the sawhorse. I used 5/16 ovalhead bolt and wing nut so that I can disassemble it with ease.

[ QUOTE ]
what the purpose of that block of wood with the bolts through it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

The block of wood with the bolt through it is for my RCBS RS press use for field reloading. You see, I build a multi-purpose bench that can be use for both shooting and field reloading.

[ QUOTE ]
Fox,
How sturdy is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I answered my own question - I built one and used it yesterday and it's "sturdy enough"...out to 300 yards, at least. I'm making a second one today for a friend.

Thanks for the info. Fox.

[ QUOTE ]
I answered my own question - I built one and used it yesterday and it's "sturdy enough"...out to 300 yards, at least. I'm making a second one today for a friend.

Thanks for the info. Fox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I didn't notice your post. Glad it works out for you. One thing I found out on mine though, after using it for about two years, the legs starting to loosen up a bit and it kind of wobbly. It can be improve by adding a removable crossbrace at the opposing leg to make it sturdy. It's hard to describe it here but when I finished, I'll post some pictures. Regards

Great idea, I just built one today. I even did a spiffy camo paint job on it. I was thinking it definetly needed a crossmember from the front leg to the rear leg on the opposite side of the shooter, that should make it real stiff. The great part is I had most the material already so only spent 21 bucks. I will try it out tommorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts