Poor man's long range gun

shasky

Poor man\'s long range gun

I have a rifle budget of about $1300 to spend. I was thinking Reminton Sendero in 300rum. I liked what I have read on the 300rum, but have always wanted 338 lapua. Any ideas?

Re: Poor man\'s long range gun

I believe the poor mans long range gun is also known as a savage rifle. For the money I dont think you can find a better gun to learn long range with. Savage makes a model 16 in a sporter 300 RUM and I thought I had heard of people ordering heavy bbl RUM's also.

Buy a Savage and put a bette stock on it and bed it. Spend the extra money on the optics and load you up some nice custom ammo.

I bet you would like the results.

good luck
steve

I'll second lerch on the Savage recommendation. I don't know what their current offerings are in the 300RUM and heavy barrel, but I'll bet that you could rechamber a 300WM heavy barrel if need be. I have a Savage Tactical (only 24" barrel) heavy barrel that is rechambered to 7STW. It produces extreme accuracy unmodified other than the rechamber.
If I ever get one of the Allen Magnums, it will probably be on a Savage action. Good luck, Sam

HBar,
If you wanted to to some customizing later on, say a match barrel or whatever, then I would get a rem. But most will agree the the savage rifles are the most accurate factory gun made, plus they now have a great new trigger. The choice is merely personal prefrence.
If you really want a 338lap., then get a 338 rem ultra. Almost as powerful, and definatly cheaper than a lapua, and barrel will probably last longer than a 300 ultra. I was going to get a rem sendero in 338 ultra...until they DISCONTINUED IT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. The only thing you can get it in now is that ugly xcr thing. Savage might have a few more heavy barrel or target/longrange orientated 338 ultra's go check out their site.
I would not get cheap on glass, get something good. Burris, leupold in the higher magnification versions. I have had good luck with the tasco SS 10x $299; mildot, 30mm tube, 100 moa, and ok glass. Go look through some and see what you like. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would give some serious consideration into a 338-378Wby in an Accumark. My buddy just got one and what a sweet heart. I have 3 Accumarks and that will be my next one. The Accubrake works really well and having the factory installed one will save you in the long run. Until then my 300Wby with 200 grain Accubonds will have to do.

[ QUOTE ]
I would give some serious consideration into a 338-378Wby in an Accumark. My buddy just got one and what a sweet heart. I have 3 Accumarks and that will be my next one. The Accubrake works really well and having the factory installed one will save you in the long run. Until then my 300Wby with 200 grain Accubonds will have to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

he said <font color="red"> poor mans long range gun
</font>

d-a

He said he was looking to spend 1300. We just bought a new one with a brake. Freight, transfer and all was only 1400 even from buddy with ffl. There is no comparison to the quality of components of the Weatherby when compared to a Sendero or any other Remington. The 338-378 has a fair advantage in power over the Lapua and the brass is a tick cheaper and is readily available. This makes it an excellent poor mans long range gun.

[ QUOTE ]
We just bought a new one with a brake. Freight, transfer and all was only 1400 even from buddy with ffl

[/ QUOTE ]
$1400 for gun, 80 dollars a box of ammo. there nothing poor about a weatherby.

At least with a savage or remington he would have enough to get a better piece of glass and reloading gear. Those are probably the two most useful componets of any longrange setup.

d-a

If I was limited to factory ammo I would use a 30-06. Lucky for us we are not or I could never afford the sport. I load 338-378Wby with Noslers for 78 cents a shot assuming 10 times per brass life. That's $15.60 a box and we shoot varmints with it whenever we get the chance. With all the money we saved on 10 boxes of ammo we put a 6.5-20x50 LR Leupold on it. Just how much is loaded .338 Lapua ammo anyways?

If I were to factor in the money saved on a target barrel, muzzle brake, trigger, premium stock, recoil pad, bedding job, gunsmith labor and the shipping charges I figure the rifle was about free compared to a Remington. I don't know about Savages as I will never own one. The few I have been around would not feed or shoot and the triggers were horrible. I would rather have a Ruger than any Savage.

You might wanna take a look at the new accutrigger guns, hell of a improvement over the old savage brick trigger!!

THe bolt on the savage does feel a little cheap on some guns, the seem to catch a bump on the middle of the magazine.

The weatherby's are a lot more expensive and though the are a HOSS in the power department they do have the free bore issue many people have a problem with. I sighted in 15 for a buddy of mine and had mixed reviews on them. Some would group 1/2" and some would group 2". SOme had nice triggers and some had so much creep you could measure it with a yardstick, though I am sure they are adjustable.

Every savage I have played with that had a accutrigger would adjust down to 1.5lbs with a crisp pull and some would go a lot lower. The accutrigger does also add a great extra safety measure. They would all also group very nicely.

If you want a good cheap rifle to start the long range game go with the savage. If you want a great action to build a custom rig off of go with the remington. If you want a true hog in the power department go with the weatherby.

If you decide to go the custom route and you want something simple you might look at the 338-300RUM, case capacity is a little bigger than the lapua and brass is simple to form. Check into Kirby Allen or Shawn Carlock for smiths, they do great work

steve

My factory Weatherby triggers will dial an extremely crisp 15 ounces out of the box. With merely a $5 trigger spring change it will go 6 ounces. The Accu-trigger may be an improvement but I will never know. The freebore is not an issue and I think you will find that even Kirby's guns when throated for the heavy bullets are sporting quite a bit of freebore. Shoot them with light or regular weight bullets and they still shoot well. So do my Weatherby's. I can post some crazy tight groups if you want. Nothing like Kirby's 500 yard groups but my 100 yards groups compare. Now which Savage action were you going to use to build that 338 Lapua class round on?

I have already talked to Kirby about a real long range gun and just can't swing it right now. I did turn a buddy on to him and they are doing up a real rig in his new 338AM. For me I will have to stick to my poor mans long range setups. To me, nothing else out of the box comes close to an Accumark for the money. Here is my cheapy 300Wby. I have $1150 in the whole thing, scope and all, and it will deliver 200 grain Accubond to 1000 yards with 1335 foot pounds of energy and only 23.36 moa correction. Not to bad for a .308". Tested at 500 it is still sub moa. With the money I saved I am about to pop for a better scope. Then I will do some more serious paper punching work.
300accumark0028zt.jpg

Different strokes for different folk I guess.

<font color="red"> [ QUOTE ]
I was thinking Reminton Sendero in 300rum. I liked what I have read on the 300rum, but have always wanted 338 lapua.

[/ QUOTE ] </font>

the 338 lapua is already out of the question, unless he gets a used one. so for all practical purposes I am comparing a 300 rum to your 338-378.
for his price range a 300 rum would be a least expensive option with a plenty of thump at 1000 yards.

there is a lot more options for factory ammo at half the price of the weatherby.

[ QUOTE ]
The freebore is not an issue and I think you will find that even Kirby's guns when throated for the heavy bullets are sporting quite a bit of freebore.

[/ QUOTE ]

the guns kirby builds are set up for the heavier for caliber bullets(higher b.c)seated to the lands.

Can you seat a 240 smk to the lands in you accumark? I doubt it.

the free bore is a serious issue in my eyes.

Dont take this as a weatherby bashing, i have 2 300 weatherby's my self(safe queens).

d-a

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.