neck lube ,poor choice

When I am seating bullets and the round will be sitting for a few weeks or more I swirl the base of the bullet in the imperial dry neck lube bb's. It helps from the cold welding effect.

One reason I neck lube. My hunting loads will carry-over from season to season.
If you load them up for a match and shoot them the following weekend, it's a bit different. I can't prove the difference on target, but I doubt anyone else can either. Because the competition shooter fires all his within days of loading.

Quality reloading requires consistency. Any lubricant in the necks will defeat that premise. I run a bronze brush in mine just to knock out any residual burned powder. The only exception would be moly or HBN coated bullets.

Last edited:
If we didn't have the carbon layer left behind from shooting, by now somebody would be selling it to us!
Seriously, it just happens to be ideal, so there is no reason to mess with it -until we mess it up.

Last edited:
I use graphite on my necks due to using expanders, whether it's in the die or on a mandrel, I still lube.
I have found I get better ES/SD numbers if I DO NOT remove the lube. A while back I would steel wool my neck insides, my numbers were good, but never consistent.
Have used Mica, Graphite and other dry lubes I don't even know what they contained and none worked as well as the residual graphite I leave after sizing.

You can take this however you like......it works for me.

Cheers.

Where we have no carbon layer and need to lube necks for rational seating forces, I'm sure graphite works fine. Moly works but affects velocities.
My expander mandrels are dry coated with WS2 (tungsten disulfide), as are my bullets.
And I just run a nylon brush once through each fired neck.

The worst thing anyone could do is wet lube inside necks. Sizing wax for example would play hell with consistent bullet release, and contaminate bore fouling.

I've been testing this out for a while myself. I don't tumble or really clean my brass just wipe it down and nylon brush the inside of necks trying to leave the carbon in. I also HBN coat my bullets, and I've done both lube the inside of the neck with wax and left dry. My ES isn't great either way (about 20fps ES) but I can't tell a difference hear with or without the wax lube. Where I can tell a difference is with bullet seating, I get ultra consistent seating depth with the wax lubed necks.

I'm going to omit lubing the inside of the necks for a while to test and see what happens and if it stays more consistent over the course of several shooting sessions. I'd rather it was more consistent without neck lube because I don't like extra steps unless proven to gain something in my results.

The worst thing anyone could do is wet lube inside necks. Sizing wax for example would play hell with consistent bullet release, and contaminate bore fouling.

Bullets are HBN coated. Cases ultrasonic cleaned. With long range loads, interior necks are lubed with Hornady Unique.

Based on many 1000s of rounds testing at 1k yds I can tell you your best bet is to brush the neck out with a stiff nylon brush and thats it. Dont clean your case, dont lube your necks.
^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^
I'll add that I wrap a small amount of 0000 steel wool on the brush and brush lightly. It takes 2 seconds per case.

This type of loading with a hunting rifle where recoil may be an issue? Curious.

Note that I stated "long range loads". When I shoot a game animal at long range, I load my shells single shot-style. I don't carry my LRH ammo in the magazine. The loads in my magazine are bear and camp defense rounds. Swift A-Frames, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, Barnes TSX, etc. controlled expansion bullets.

Be careful interior neck lubing shells to be carried in the mag on heavy recoiling rifles. My bear/camp defense loads carried in the magazine are still HBN coated bullets. I may lube the necks with Hornady Unique on a Q-tip, but it's a thin coat followed by removal with a clean Q-tip. The slightest film remains - think microscopic/molecule-thin coating. And I also ensure sufficient neck tension to keep the bullets held fast, even under recoil. The shells in my magazine don't need to be any more accurate than 1moa. Even 1.5moa is good enough. Honestly, bear/camp defense load development is very limited. I ensure safe pressure levels, functional feeding, and general POI testing for comparison to my long range ammo POI.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.