Poll/Discussion: Hunting with a Muzzle Brake

Hunt with a Muzzle Brake

• Yes

Votes: 129 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 43 25.1%

• Total voters
It depends. I have. I didn't like it. Had a snap shot opportunity and I took it with a braked 308. That was loud. I never notice my 30-06 though im sure it is still damaging my ears when I shoot without ear pro. I can't imagine what my 300 RUM would do, especially once it gets a brake. My new 7mm mag didn't get a brake as its being built as a hunting rifle.

It depends. I have. I didn't like it. Had a snap shot opportunity and I took it with a braked 308. That was loud. I never notice my 30-06 though im sure it is still damaging my ears when I shoot without ear pro. I can't imagine what my 300 RUM would do, especially once it gets a brake. My new 7mm mag didn't get a brake as its being built as a hunting rifle.
Just built 2 6.5 prcs one on a pre 64 mod 70 win with a Bartlein barrel no brake the other on a Curtis Axiom Proof barrel with a brake both hunting rifles I dont like recoil any more guess which one I shoot most

My 300WM had a break while my 375H&H doesn't. I solo hunt with the 300WM and like the ability to spot my shot. The distance I use the 375H&H at negates the need to spot the shot.

.340 Weatherby has a brake. 30/06 no brake, .270 Win no brake

I wanted to add that since having the brake installed on my .340, I always hunt with Walker Razor quad ear muffs. I wear them all the time while hunting. They assist hearing sounds my 67 year old ears might have missed. Hearing an Elk bugle while wearing them is a new experience, and the quad feature makes it possible to determine which direction the bugle came from. Also makes it easier to hear my guide whispering to me. The razor model is thin enough that it doesn't interfere with shouldering my rifle.

It's a hot topic on africahunting website.
No Brakes if they are talking hunting in a party with pro hunter and tracker. Preferred at least. .
They really don't like them at the range.
Suppressors are legal
Sometimes you need them but I don't have one

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.