Please school me on breaks

'd point you towards any of the following:
  • One of the APA Bastard brakes (big, little, fat...)
  • Muscle Brakes
  • Area 419 Hellfire (regular or match)
  • Terminator Brake
  • Muzzle Breaks and More Beast Brake
My most recent purchase was the Area419 Hellfire "Match." It's a four port version. I'm very happy with that purchase but any of the above have been great. Using the Hellfire Match on a 300 win mag. Works very well and really controls muzzle jump. It's a two piece but way different system than any other two piece. I went that route due to the suppressor adapter they offer for my TBAC but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Hello,

I make quite a few different muzzle brakes.

I'm here for any questions you may have. You may not purchase one of my brakes, but I'm always here to help people figure out what barrel threads, brake size, self timer or not etc.

Shoot me a pm if you would like,

Ken

Muzzle Brakes and More MBM - I have 2 of the 5 port super beasts. For big rifles, its the best. Only thing that can compete with it is the Terminator out of New Zealand.

If you go to this link, there are 7 pages of comments and links and data.

You will see where I started and ended up and why. Videos of the sled tests for all brands is really instructive.

I'm building a new rifle and want to put a break on it so my kids can shoot it without too much trouble. It's a 308 so the recoil is pretty mild for me but maybe not a 12 year old. So, what is the difference between 1 piece and 2 piece, self timing, and port position?

I've done a lot of reading on breaks and it seems like a lot of info is more opinions. I know they work for recoil reduction because I have shot rifles with and without them. How do 1 piece vs. 2 piece breaks work and why would you choose one over the other?

There are a lot of opinions on port position and direction (90 degree vs forward vs rear facing ports). What gives? It's tough to understand when 1 manufacture says one thing then another says the complete opposite ( I understand marketing but dang it's confusing). Do ports on top really effect rifle positioning for follow up shots because it pushes the muzzle down???

This rifle is going to be my primary hunting rig but I also plan on spending a lot of time behind it at the range. I'll probably use a break at the range but hunt without it. I know I will have to confirm zero if and when I take off or put on the break.

Anyways I would love to hear from you guys that have used and experimented with different types of breaks.
Brakes* (Lesson Over)

Brakes make it quite a bit louder and more blast which my kids are more sensitive to. Suppressor is the answer, but in your current state I'd advocate a 223/6/6.5 small platform gas gun. Howa Mini for bolt.

Am I the only guy who times my 1 pc brakes myself buy using a flat file and wet stone?

I love the mbm 3 and 4 port 1 pc brakes , I have 5 or 6 now
Seems like a lot of effort involved unless you happen to be close from the start. Shims are so quick and done.

Another strong vote for suppressor, especially if it's for kids. Where you reduce recoil with a brake, you increase blast/shock/noise. I've gotten to where I prefer stronger recoil over the pain that brakes inflict.