Please help first setup

Themsah

ok so I have been hunting a few years now with a rifle I purchased already setup and have never had to touch except a few clicks on the scope.

I wanted to start shooting bigger game at longer distance so I went out and bought a brand new remington 700sps chambered in .300 winmag. It came with a cheap scope installed from factory. I have been to the range 2x with it and cannot get it to shoot correctly.

The problem is that the scope moves in the rings apparently from the recoil. I mean it moves 1/2 inch or more, until the zoom hits the rear ring. Now I purchased this setup fully understanding that I was going to take that scope/mounting setup and get rid of it. But I would really like to at least get a few shots downrange to make sure I am comfortable with the weapon before I make that investment.

Is there anything I might do to fix this so I can get at least a few shots on paper, maybe hunt this season? I have been told to try lapping the rings. I am not sure the rings are the problem. I have also been told to put a brake on the gun to help reduce recoil..

Please help..
THanks

Sounds like those rings are REALLY loose. Lapping will not solve this. I am assuming you checked the rings and the screws are torqued properly. If you are ultimately going to pitch the optics set-up, you can try removing the scope and shimming it with some friction tape. Or, send that flawed set-up back to Big Green and have them fix their issue. Cheap or not it should function properly.

What part is moving, the bases or the rings? Your base might not be screwed in tight as well. I would take the scope and rings off, tighten the bases, then remount the rings and scope. If you are not familiar with how to mount a scope, either do some searching on here or take it to a gun shop and pay them $15 to do it (or take it back to the store you bought it from and make them do it for free).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts