First LR Setup

Surgikill

Hey guys I am looking into getting my first long range setup. I was looking at a cz 550 varmint in .308 with a laminated stock and a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50. My brother has this scope on a Remington 5r and he says it is amazing. Just wondering what the pros think about this.

Hey guys I am looking into getting my first long range setup. I was looking at a cz 550 varmint in .308 with a laminated stock and a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50. My brother has this scope on a Remington 5r and he says it is amazing. Just wondering what the pros think about this.

It sounds like a quality setup.

But, LR is subjective. So, it depends on how you plan to use it.

308 Win is an excellent cartridge. But, there are others that might be more effective depending on the circumstances.

-- richard

WHat kind of range are you looking at and what kind of game if any are you considering. The scope is a fine one for long range. I have been using it for several years with good success.

I will most likely be using it on p dogs, yotes, antelope, and deer. I don't know what my max range will be (all dependent on how good I can shoot).

The 308 is a medium range cartridge. You can push it to 1000. But, it's like pushing a 7mag to 1600. A 260 has better ballistics and less recoil.

The 8.5-25 is a very high magnification scope, suitable for target shooting at extreme range. The 8x would be a lot for coyote hunting. I would step down to the 6.5-20 or the 4.5-14. My serious coyote hunting customers tell me they prefer lower bottom magnifiications for close work and target aquisition. Coyotes are fast moving and 90% will be taken within 300 yards.

Personally, I run the 5.5-22 and 6.5-20.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.