Newbie help please?

floyd

Am in the middle of selecting a caibre for my new rifle.

need it to shoot casual targets too 1000 yards, and also be my stalking back, up so cant be too heavy.

Thinking of : 6.5x55 Ackley Imp, 6.5/308, 6.5/284 or even 300 wsm. Worried the 300wsm will kick like a mule, and have heard the 6.5/284 eats barrels in about 1200 rounds.

Any advice/experience or other suggestions gratefully accepted

I have a .270WBY(SAko action) with 28" #5 barrel shoots game like a laser also prints some good groups and doesn't kick bad either.

Really depends on how long a barrel you can tolerate. If you are just plinking out to 1000yds, then this is not too critical. I would recommend the 260Rem and 7-08. From 22 to 24" pipes, they will do what you want have moderate recoil and can be made very accurately.

If you want more performance then 6.5-06 or 280 rem. For a hunting rifle, I would avoid the AI cases because they may be harder to feed from some actions.

Jerry

Well I have to ask what is wrong with a 7mm rem mag? or even a 7mm wsm?

Also how much weight is too much weight? If it is only gonna be a back up rifle then why not get a little heavier to help out with the recoil (very beneficial to target practice). And if it is only in the case that your primary rifle breaks down that you have to use it then you won't be hunting with it much therefore you should be able to tough it out with a little extra weight for the short period of time that you will be carrying it.

Just a thought so take it for what it's worth to ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dave, Ian, or Len,
This thread mysteriously got split in two, one half in barrels and ballistics and the other half in basics, starting out.
Just thought i would bring this to your attention.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.