I Need help on first long range rifle purchase please

I would buy a savage long range hunter rifle. In 7STW will do anything you want to do out to 1000 and even 1 mile

guys thanks for the help, but as to the scope I already have a brand new Razor 5-20 setting in the box. As far as the sender, I like it, but would like to deal with a non-belted case.
I have had nobody comment on the Cooper, is the Cooper not a very liked gun around here? The only reason I ask, is because the Cooper comes in some GREAT calibers where as the Sendero is very limited, and I have never read anything bad about the Cooper accuracy, and every now and then it seems someone contemplates driving into a bridge pillar while trying to get their new Sendero to shoot the way THEY think it should.
Thanks for the info.....btw, the 280AI is looking very nice about right now.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with belted magnums. It is a myth made up by people marketing non belted magnums. Senderos are amongst the most accurate out of the box factory rifles ever sold. If someone can't make their's shoot the most like culprit is the shooter or the way it was set up.

As for the Coopers, I've been around here for some time and haven't run into more than one or two people who shoot them.

For factory medium/large game calibers overall it's next to impossible to beat the 7mm Rem or 300wm. I personally prefer the 7mm STW overall, but I also own 3 300wm's and two 300 Rums.

Out of all the rifles I own though the one I am most likely to grab for any hunt is my Mod 70 Sharpshooter in 7mm STW.

You want to shoot 1K, kill elk at 600 or so , ease of loading without the belted case , inherently accurate case , can send 180's at 3k fps . Also better barrel life than a 7stw
Can't argue with any of that.

The only problem with them is that if he's going to stick to factory production rifles is that OAL is going to be limited due to magazine restrictions. That pretty much rules out getting peak performance out of the heavier VLD offerings.

Well as most of us learn to single feed the factory rifles due to magazine lengths and or not being able to touch the lands with magazine length ammo, but sometimes you can jump the bullet and get lucky enough to find a load that will shoot well. I really like the speed of the 7 mags and own one, but my go to elk rifle would always be the 300wsm as it seems its always a one and done shot with it.

no experience with a cooper , i would really like a model 54 mannlicher though. probably .243. i have quite a few senderos. i have also had a winchester laredo. all shoot very good.

I'd have to go with the recommendation by a couple others previously... Wildrose stands out. The 300wm would be my fist choice in either the sendero or the laredo. And would definitely have it braked... And if you want outstanding ballistics... The 215 berger hybrids come in at an exceptional.696 bc, or you can go with the 230 Hybrid which touts an amazing .743 BC.

Either will take down big game at distances most would shutter at and I can't think of a better out of box platform than the sendero or laredo for field work at long distance.

Belted mags are ridiculously easy to reload... No complex magic to it. That's my vote anyways. I've been doing tons of research and thought on this subject extensively. This my next setup once the money is available... And I do believe that the previous posters are spot on. 300 wm... Sendero (laredo if you can find one)... Berger hybrids. Tough to beat unless going completely custom.

Last edited:
I'd have to go with the recommendation by a couple others previously... Wildrose stands out. The 300wm would be my fist choice in either the sendero or the laredo. And would definitely have it braked... And if you want outstanding ballistics... The 215 berger hybrids come in at an exceptional.696 bc, or you can go with the 230 Hybrid which touts an amazing .743 BC.

Either will take down big game at distances most would shutter at and I can't think of a better out of box platform than the sendero or laredo for field work at long distance.

Belted mags are ridiculously easy to reload... No complex magic to it. That's my vote anyways. I've been doing tons of research and thought on this subject extensively. This my next setup once the money is available... And I do believe that the previous posters are spot on. 300 wm... Sendero (laredo if you can find one)... Berger hybrids. Tough to beat unless going completely custom.
A Laredo is VERY high on my list of "next time I come across one and have the extra money laying around" guns. Pretty much the equal of the Sharpshooters accuracy wise in a 300 Winny.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.