Please, explain your reasons for choosing a carbon wrappedbarrel.

I have a carbon fiber wrapped stock and it gets dings and nicks in it very easily which show up as little white dings. I'm not a fan.

I researched carbon wrapped barrels for an AR10 build but for weight savings not for long range. My current 6.5 is over 12lbs with optics and a 22" barrel and my current 308 is over 10lbs with a 20" barrel. My next 6.5 build cuts 2lbs off the barrel alone vs the current barrel.

When looking at barrels I found that there was no real weight to be saved, but I never looked at contours.

Is there stability in these CW barrels vs there same length stainless or chrome moly counterparts? Is there a benefit that I am missing?
My 6.5 CM AR-10 weighs 10 lbs with a 22"
Christensen Arms CF barrel. Ridiculously accurate but still front heavy. Can't imagine how unwieldy it would be with a steel barrel of the same dimension.

I started my long range shooting with an issued rifle that was a little over 14 lbs. Carrying a 308 through the woods at that weight for the range it provided is for young folks.

I just recently put a CF on a 308 that is similar to the one I carried long ago. Similar barrel contour, stock, better optics, and it is at 9.2 lbs.

It shoots like a heavy, but carries like a sporter. Haven't gotten to test at long range yet, but already the balance is perfect and probably won't be heavy at the end of a long, hard day. If for competition, it would be different, but for walking in the woods for one maybe two shots, it was worth it..and it's a 308 so barrel life is going to keep this around for the grandkids.

For weight and balance, the money was well spent. I'm dunn carrying heavy rifles...

What's wrong with heavy barrels? This rifle weighs 17lbs.
887B07CA-EC01-488A-B668-F0EA09868FDB.jpeg

Beware of dropping too much weight, superlight rifles tend to have more muzzle jump and require a different shooting style to be accurate- they are nice to carry but sometimes have trade offs in shooting style or accuracy.

My 6.5 CM AR-10 weighs 10 lbs with a 22"
Christensen Arms CF barrel. Ridiculously accurate but still front heavy. Can't imagine how unwieldy it would be with a steel barrel of the same dimension.

Well, if whatever I shoot isn't dead by the time i get there, I can beat it to death and the rifle will probably be good to go.

Ballistic Advantage has ridiculously heavy barrels, the 22" is 75.9oz and the 18 barrel is 61.5oz, they are accurate, but I wouldn't want to carry one very far.

I often walk long distances while hunting and always use a suppressor. As others have stated I like the look and accuracy of the larger barrels and want one that works well with a direct thread 5/8-24 suppressor. I don't mind a heavy gun off the bench or with limited walking, but when walking for extended distance and time I like to lighten the rifle some without sacrificing accuracy and suppressor useage. I was very skeptical at first but after much research I decided to give Proof a try. I'm so glad I did. I just started shooting this new custom build with factory ammo and have yet to shoot over a .6" group with factory ammo. I haven't even started to reload for it yet. I shot a 6 shot group that measured .3" last week and couldn't be happier so far. It has performed much better than I expected and I have only shot factory ammo through it and it is a breeze to carry around. I also really love the look of it. They are a little more expensive but when I'm building a custom rifle I don't let a few hundred extra get in the way of what I want. With that said, I'm not someone that will shoot the barrel out in a few years either. This rifle should last me a lifetime of hunting and limited bench shooting. At least with this build Proof Research gets 5 stars from me.

I researched carbon wrapped barrels for an AR10 build but for weight savings not for long range. My current 6.5 is over 12lbs with optics and a 22" barrel and my current 308 is over 10lbs with a 20" barrel. My next 6.5 build cuts 2lbs off the barrel alone vs the current barrel.

When looking at barrels I found that there was no real weight to be saved, but I never looked at contours.

Is there stability in these CW barrels vs there same length stainless or chrome moly counterparts? Is there a benefit that I am missing?
When gue wrapped barrels came on seen, one of the pionears took old military 303s 8mms and gue warped the barrels as a test His rifles shoot 2 1/2 to 3-inch groups ones they were wrapped they shot one inch. Barrel harmonics and heat change accuracy Carbon fibers change both these factors.

A number 4 is about the same weight as a proof carbon. I have carbon barrels on my hunting rifles. But I also own heavy steel barrels. There is no way a carbon barrel is more accurate than steel. And you can't shoot the same amount of rounds in a carbon as you would steel and expect the same result. It's a pencil barrel with carbon around it. It allows bigger breaks. And cools down quicker. Or at least what you can feel cools down quicker. And looks cool.

There are several possible benefits:

1) the carbon fiber is said to conduct heat away from the steel liner much more efficiently than would a solid steel barrel.

2) the carbon fiber is significantly stiffer than steel of the same cross section.

3) the liner can be "tensioned" making the combined assembly even stiffer than would normally be the case (I am not purporting that this is common; it is feasible.)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.