Picking the Right bullet

greener280

To start it off I am having a 7mm RM built and should be done very soon. My problem is in picking the right bullet. The gun is being throated for 168 bergers but I am considering using a different bullet. I will be hunting whitetails and bears mainly with this gun and have hopes to hunt elk with it as well. So where I hunt whitetails it is not always it is not always going to be a long shot I could end up shooting them as close as 50 yards, and possible running through brush; that is the main reason why I am being hesitant about shooting the 168 bergers and using 160 Accubonds. Now for the other end of things, Bear hunting in idaho can give a very far shot so I need a bullet that I can reach out and touch them with and I am not sure what the max effective range of the accubonds would be. Also I am not a fan of taking two kinds of ammo with me in the field.

I think the 160 accubond started at 3000 fps is good to at least 800 yds on black bear. I'm basing that on a minimum effective velocity of 1,800 fps. Depending on elevation that could be about 700 to 900 yds.

The 168 Berger probably expands at a lower velocity and holds it speed better but I still don't think it adds more than 200 yds past the accubond.

At those ranges accuracy is #1. And if the accubond shoots as good as the Berger it's no slouch at long range.

Close up I'd take the accubond every time.

I have found barnes bullets to be among the most accurate and effective bullets available.I load a.257 weatherby with a 24 '' barrel to 3367 fps using a barnes 100 gr. tsx. A 7mm stw 26'' 1 & 9 twist barrel to 3450 fps with a barnes 140 gr. ttsx . A 30-06 to 2866 fps with the barnes 150 gr. ttsx. An 8 mm remington magnum to 3270 fps using the barnes 180 gr tsx. I tried berger vld hunting bullets in both the .257 wby. & the 7mmstw because of the higher B.C. after many tries with different powders , primers, and a whole array of seating depths, I went back to barnes. They were consistantly the most accurate in the above mentioned rifles. I finally found a rile that shoot the berger well;It is a 24'' 1& 10 twist 300 win. mag. an honest 1'' group @ 200 yards with the berger 185 gr. vld hunting bullet @ 2840 fps. It out performs all of the above rifle / cartridge combo's above at least as far as retained velocity & energy are concerned. The positive and the negative sides of barnes and berger have been debated back and forth unconclusively. The berger and the barnes are on opposite ends of the spectrum.I want the best of both worlds. Is the new federal trophy bonded tip bullet that bullet ? If not what is? The technology must exist.Quest for the ultimate hunting bullet.

Increasing sectional density increases the BC as well as provides the opportunity for weight retention after initial expansion. I shoot a lot of J4 soft lead core bullets that have high SDs and I really like their performance.

If it was me and it often has been being as I like the 7mms, I would look at the 160 AB and the 180 Berger.

Thanks for the response bob.I don't know anything about J-4 soft core lead bullets. Any more information would be appreciated. I will try the 160 g.r. accubond inmy 7 mm stw. Can you tell me what BC of the 7mm 160 GR AB is? Does anyone know where B.C.'S OF A wide variety of bullets mAY BE ACCESSED on-line ? I have tried to find the bc of federal's relatively new Trophy Bonded Tip bullet unsuccessfully. They are mentioned on page 18 of the jan./ feb issue of RifleShooter magazine. Seems as this bullet may be a happy medium between the barnes and the berger, if the bc's surpass those of barnes.

Berger makes and sells the J4 jacket to many custom bullet makers. It is thinner and softer than either their new thick jacket or Sierras Match King jacket.

The Nosler ABs use a copper alloy for the jacket that is tougher than pure copper and their lead core is alloyed as well to be harder than pure lead

Wildcat bullets VLDs are make using the J4 jackets.

You can find the BC of the Bergers on Bergers Website and the BC of the Noslers on Noslers website.

I recently became aware of a new bullet manufacturer that machines copper bullet on CNC equipment. The design is interesting and I intend to try the 170 version in my 1 in 7 twist LR 7 rem mag after this hunting season.

Cutting Edge Bullets

The 160 accubond is a good choice. As for other bullets, don't forget the 175 partition. It is a proven performer and it has a pretty good BC of .519. Nosler's 150 E-tip has a good BC of .498 but my experiments with it showed it was more difficult to get it to shoot accurately.

Enjoy the journey.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.