PICKING THE RIGHT ONE

Pete Carrasco

I'm looking to get a new long range hunting rifle ( out to 1000 yards, elk, muledeer,sheep) and need little help. I'm trying to stay around $1200 and under for the rifle. I've been looking at the rem long-range in a 7 mag,rem awr 300 rum, christen arms mesa 28 nobler, savage 6.5x284 but open to any suggestions and help

calibers i have looked at also is 7mag, 6.5prc, 28 nosler, 300 rum, 6.5x284, 300 win i reload also

I'm looking to get a new long range hunting rifle ( out to 1000 yards, elk, muledeer,sheep) and need little help. I'm trying to stay around $1200 and under for the rifle. I've been looking at the rem long-range in a 7 mag,rem awr 300 rum, christen arms mesa 28 nobler, savage 6.5x284 but open to any suggestions and help

calibers i have looked at also is 7mag, 6.5prc, 28 nosler, 300 rum, 6.5x284, 300 win i reload also

Welcome to LRH and enjoy! I understand that it boils down to personal preference and intended purpose. The .300 WM remains my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Load it with Berger 215 and you're golden. Anything pass that I'd go with the .300 RUM from your list with 215/230 Berger. For elk beyond 1K, I'd look into the .338 RUM or other magnums except for the .338 WM.

Those are nice rifles to choose from. Keep an eye on the classified ads too.

Good luck!

Ed

The savage high country in 280 AI looks pretty cool to me. You could pick up a sendero sfII in 264 wm, 7mm RM or 300 rum for less than $1200 on gunbroker.

Also the browning xbolt hells canyon lr in any of those calibers is a sweet gun.

Tikka t3 lite 7mm or 300 win - $675
Bell & Carlson lite hunter stock $275
DNZ one piece 30 mm rings $50
Lil bastard brake $160
Total $1160, welcome also, didn't see you mention tikkas but there hard to beat for out of the box accurate, and there actions are butter. Have fun with your "predicament", bbls are 24.5 but I don't think you'll mind when you put it on paper

Are you worried about weight? I played with a Bergara HMR in .300 WinMag very recently and have the local gun shop on the lookout for a left hand version (that supposedly came out this year).
I'm working with a buddy's 700 long range in 7mm RemMag, seems like a decent rifle. However the Bergara has an accuracy guarantee (where from personal experience Remington said that 2.5 moa was acceptable), and the HMR is only a little heavier. I'm liking Browning's newer rifles as well, too bad they don't come in lefty.

I am in the same boat as you are. Do you want the ability to rebarrel it yourself? What is your max COAL? Do you want an adjustable stock? These are questions I am asking myself as well. I looked at the Tikka and the mag length is restricting. I want something that can load out to CIP mag length. Looked at the Savage High Country and it only has a 24 inch barrel, and I am not sure what the max length is for the cartridges. I am thinking about getting a 700 action and a KRG bravo stock, with maybe a Proof barrel. Also looking at getting a Savage 110 and finding a stock that takes CIP mags.

Remington Sendero

Have you looked at the savage 110 High Country?

For elk at 1000 I'd stick with the bigger hitters probably. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the 6.5 caliber but my PRC and 6.5-284 numbers show to be in the 1100 ft lbs at 1k. For Deer and Sheep, absolutely, those light bullets with high bc will buck the wind and drop less then a 215-230 but the energy is not in the same world.

Having said that, I really like the ballistics of the 7mm as an alternative. The 280AI with a 180 is nice blend of lower recoil, BC, energy, and you can expect 2800-2900 in a decent hunter length barrel. If you go magnum the 7mag is great, built a couple, but you may be limited to the 160class bullets (which is fine) due to factory twist rate.

Kimber makes an accurate rifle from the box with a smooth action and trigger. All three of mine are 0.75 MOA or better. My 300 WM will put two touching everytime and only opens due to heat on the LW barrel. You shouldn't need more than one:)

I have a lead for you on a Kimber mountain ascent in .300 Win. The guy has had it for about 3 years and put 2 boxes of ammo through it. Let me know if this would interest you.

PS. I will not buy a browning rifle again. I saw browning as an option. I've heard plenty of good about them, but they don't have the standards I would consider good for a long range rifle. I was told by them, they accept 1.5 MOA for a 3 shot group at 100 yards. Yuck

Pete, you might consider the Browning Hell's Canyon Speed in 300 WM.

I have a lead for you on a Kimber mountain ascent in .300 Win. The guy has had it for about 3 years and put 2 boxes of ammo through it. Let me know if this would interest you.

PS. I will not buy a browning rifle again. I saw browning as an option. I've heard plenty of good about them, but they don't have the standards I would consider good for a long range rifle. I was told by them, they accept 1.5 MOA for a 3 shot group at 100 yards. Yuck
Buy it. That's what my 300 WM is and it rocks.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.