Picking the right barnes bullet for a .308

Technologist

Hello,

I'm hoping to bring my .308 to south africa next year for plains game. I'm thinking I should use tougher bullets for this trip than I usually use (hrndy 165 btsp), and I've been looking at Barnes bullets for their reputation of being tough and penetrating well. I was dead set on the 168 gr ttsx until I found that it had a minimum expansion velocity of 2000 fps, compared to 1800 fps of the regular tsx.

I don't want to go for a lighter bullet (since the really large antelopes require penetration), but my .308 will drop below 2000 fps at something like 250 yards. Barnes recommends a margin of 200 fps for good expansion, and a 168 grainer from a 308 drops below 2200 fps pretty fast.

Would you recommend me to go with the tsx or do you have reason to believe that the ttsx will perform well enough even if striking the target at below 2000 fps?

Does any of you magnum shooters have any experience with the long range performance of the 168 ttsx?

Any info appreciated.

What ranges do you realistically expect to shoot game at on this trip? ALso keep in mind that the tougher the animal the more the bullet will expand at slower speeds. The barnes videos I have all base their, "expansion velocities" on white tailed deer. Which are usually considered thin skinned game. Hunting out in Africa will probably be medium to heavy skinned game and will allow a slower bullet to expand at a slower speed. Bullet placement and penetration are going to be far more important on a hunt in Africa in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.