Pants advice

Have any of you tried these? ATG by Wrangler Men's Synthetic Utility Pant. I hunt, hike, work in the yard in them, and love them. I have a pair of KUIU attack pants that I received as a gift, but I don't wear them. They seem pretty expensive for hunting in W. OK. Also, I wore the Wrangler pants on a hike in the Grand Canyon. Some of my companions wore KUIU pants. I did not feel I was at a disadvantage at all. While we were there the rim received over 8 inches of snow. I use wool under them in the fall. And in the winter I switch to my wool hunting pants. As long as Wrangler keeps making them I will keep buying them.
I'll have to check them out, thanks. I did end up with a full set of Sitka in open country. I get a good deal on them and I can try them on unlike Kuiu (I'd have to drive 2.5 hours to their store).
I got the mountain pant, core lightweight long sleeve, heavyweight 1/4 zip, jet stream soft shell jacket, kelvin puffy jacket, mountain glove, and stormfront glove. I plan to get the core lightweight hoody, traverse gloves and a jet stream beanie to finish off the collection. At some point maybe get some lightweight pants and tops in subalpine for archery in timber.

I'll have to check them out, thanks. I did end up with a full set of Sitka in open country. I get a good deal on them and I can try them on unlike Kuiu (I'd have to drive 2.5 hours to their store).
I got the mountain pant, core lightweight long sleeve, heavyweight 1/4 zip, jet stream soft shell jacket, kelvin puffy jacket, mountain glove, and stormfront glove. I plan to get the core lightweight hoody, traverse gloves and a jet stream beanie to finish off the collection. At some point maybe get some lightweight pants and tops in subalpine for archery in timber.
If you were going to suggest hot weather pants, what would you go with? I suffer from heat buildup really quick and don't need or want pants that suffocate me. I'll trade longevity for comfort any day. Looser is better.

The Wrangler will pill around the pockets and the crotch seams will come unstitched. I have thrown 2 of the 6 pairs I bought away. The original Zion and the Zion 2.0 are great. Duluth Trading has options that are better for work but they are durable and comfortable, just cut generously.

If you were going to suggest hot weather pants, what would you go with? I suffer from heat buildup really quick and don't need or want pants that suffocate me. I'll trade longevity for comfort any day. Looser is better.
There are a lot of good options out there. I wear the Firstlite obsidian pant for chukar hunting but I have torn one pair the second time out and another that the emblem frayed. They are loose fitting. (Those are the two reasons I didn't go with FirstLite for this big purchase). They are super cool and comfortable in the heat. I haven't tried them but Sitka has the Intercept pant that has thigh zips for ventilation which would dump a lot of heat. I would have got these but they don't make them in the pattern I wanted. Yes I'm that guy, I like to match.

I wore the Intercepts this year. They're nice, the hip vents really allow a lot of heat to dump. I also bought the SG 206 pants and they are a really good warm weather pant with vents in the inside of the thighs, again really allows heat to dump. If I had to choose a pant for the warmest weather, out of what I have, it'd be the 206. I'm not sure Sitka makes a pant that's comparable with thigh vents. The FL Obsidian pants just aren't durable enough for me, but they're a great pant for some stuff. When I'm thinking warm weather, it's usually Arizona and constantly getting pricked by something is normal, the merino just doesn't hold up to that. If there's no sticker bushes and cactus the Obsidian would be a great choice too, they do have a better chance of wetting out from sweat than something that's not wool though. If I were looking for a warm weather pant from Sitka, I'd look at the Intercepts as well as the Ascents.

I meant to mention stone glacier too. I don't have their pants I've only got a lightweight hoody that I wear in the heat to keep the sun off but I'm really impressed by SG's quality. I was looking at their pants again yesterday and they seem like they'd be great for keeping you cool. As for the FirstLite obsidian, not only the fact that they dont hold up here in Nevada either, but the fit of FirstLite is annoying to me. Another point to Sitka for the various sizes they offer their products in.

Yeah, it's all full circle to first page. I wear under armour ridge reaper raiders. Vented pants is the way to go. Breathable pants will always be on the lighter side.

I'm the same way. Even in the general seasons, I get all hot and sticky fighting miles of elevation change and going the distance with a 5 + day load on my back. I don't like my pants soaking up sweat for obvious reasons.

I really look at the materials. The obsidian's merino + ripstop is already a no go for me in hot weather.
Both those materials hold moisture.
The 206 are nylon. Nylon and polyester will be better at not absorbing sweat. My UA raiders are polyester. At the end of the day, there's only so many materials to be used, and it's just a matter of how they are woven and stitched together..

Recent Posts